Chapter 1: Rejected

I could hear the smooth voice of Miss. Ava, as she goes on teaching in the large hall, but my mind isn't focused on her. Her voice fades away as I glare at the black-haired boy, sitting on the other side of the room with his fingers softly thrumming on the table. His eyes are focused on the female lecturer, possibly listening to the lecture going on while I watch him like a freak from afar.

Brad Benson, son to the Alpha of Lunar pack, and next in line to be Alpha. He's the kind of guy every girl in town wants for herself and still runs after even though he's dumped them before.

Recalling what he did yesterday makes me grit my teeth and glare harder at him. Oh, the nerve of him.

I remember when I first saw him on the first day of high school. I was that kid no one wanted to associate themselves with - skinny with freckles painting my cheeks and forehead, and I had practically no fashion sense. I tried making friends, but it didn't work out.

Then I saw Brad and how he was adored by everyone. He was your typical high school jock - handsome, athletic, charming... Everyone wanted a piece of him. Plus, he's the son of our Alpha. He had it all, the looks, fame, popularity, power...

I wasn't so impressed by him from the start. I avoided him like the plague and stayed hidden, not making myself too popular. I didn't really care that no one acknowledged me. I was okay being on my own.

But then, at the start of my senior year, I began having this huge crush on Brad. I would sit two seats behind him and ogle him through the whole class as every other girl did. I started daydreaming about him and even scribble his name at the back of notebooks a lot.

I knew I couldn't have him since he was dating one of the most popular girls at school at that time, Stacy. But it didn't stop me from trying to impress him by changing my looks. I actually started to read fashion magazines instead of my books and even tried out the dresses I saw. But then, when I showed up at school, Stacy ended up turning me into ​a figure of fun.

Apparently, I was so skinny, any dress I wore either ended up making me look more of a stick or dwarfed me in them. I was made a laughing stock throughout, and Brad hadn't even paid me any attention.

It wasn't common for werewolves to be so ugly like I had been. We are one of the most beautiful and exotic creatures in the world, and humans mostly envy us for this. But of course, they don't know about our existence. They're so unpredictable and might not be able to process that we live among them, especially since we age very slowly.

Anyway, so since I couldn't get Brad, I stopped trying and settled on ogling him from afar. But fate has its way of surprising people.

When I turned eighteen, which is the age of any average werewolf to find their mate, I had been ecstatic to find mine. Not every werewolf sees theirs immediately, but I hoped I would quickly. A mate is someone to cherish and the one you would spend the rest of your life with. They're usually given to us by the moon but can also be chosen. You feel a pull towards them and can't help feeling attracted to them no matter what...or at least that's what I thought.

I had skipped happily to school that day in joy, daydreaming about the special moment of finding my true love. Finally, someone would accept me for who I am and not stare at me like I'm some weirdo. I didn't care about the weird looks I got for my goofy smiles. All I cared about was finding my mate. I even wore a little bit of makeup to school, just in case I saw him that day.

At one of my free periods, I was walking down the hallway when I smelt this delicious scent calling out to me. My wolf was howling like crazy in my head and her tail wagging side to side.

I knew then what it meant and traced the scent right away. I found myself on the empty football field with Brad sitting on the bleachers.

My eyes widened in shock when I realized the scent was coming from him. And when he noticed my presence, he stared at me in question with his eyes squinted until I whispered,