Chapter 3: Yours?!

The air is chilly outside, but I feel warm thanks to my wolf. The moon is big and bright up in the sky as I continue to stare at it. It almost feels like it's trying to comfort me as it looks down to me.

Nights of full moons are one of the best for shifting for a werewolf. We are stronger then, and our senses are more heightened. We feel more connected to our inner wolves during this time as our first shifts are mostly during a full moon.

I had mine at this time too. It was painful for me the first time. My bones, cracking into different positions, and I remember crying a lot that night. But after shifting a lot of times, I'm used to the pain, and hurts less.

After the inauguration ceremony is done and over with, most werewolves will take off into the forest to shift into their wolf form. We do not miss the opportunity of a full moon since it happens only once in a month. Brad would lead us as the new Alpha through the woods, and together, we all would howl at the moon all night.

I will not be joining them tonight, though. Anything that deals with Brad irk me. I hope my wolf quickly heals so I can find an unmated wolf from another pack and get out of this one.

I love my pack. I grew up here, and my parents live here. It will be hard to say goodbye, but if I wanna completely move on, then I need to distance myself from that prick.

"There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere!" I hear someone sigh in relief behind me, startling me out of my thoughts. I turn to see Lana by the doorway of the balcony, looking disoriented while puffing out breaths. Something doesn't feel right.

The balcony is now empty as everyone had gone inside to watch Brad take the title of Alpha except me. But the packhouse is eerily silent, which is the opposite of what it's supposed to be. By now, Brad should have been named Alpha, and there should be howls and whistles of merriment.

I scrunch my eyebrows in suspicion as Lana exhales in relief but still looks...scared?

"What's wrong?" I slowly ask, making my way towards her. She pauses, looking unsure with a puzzled look on her face.

"I'm not sure either, but...you're being called inside." She announces. I stiffen in response as dread washes over me.

Was that why it's silent inside? Because of me? But why? The only reason I could think of for the ceremony to halt for me is if...if they knew about me being Brad's real mate.

My eyes widen in horror as I stare at Lana. She seems puzzled also, not knowing why I'm being summoned.

This is bad. This is really bad. If alpha Benson knows about Brad and me, he will force Brad to break his bond with Stacy and then mate me. I don't wanna be a mate to a jerk like him. I still am a bit attracted to him, but I don't want him anywhere near me. It's a hot and cold situation.

But how did they find out? Had Brad revealed this to them? But that doesn't make any sense. Why would he? He had made it clear that he wanted Stacy by his side and not me.

"Are you alright?" Lana asks, probably noticing the pale look on my face. I quickly shake out of my thoughts and put on a fake smile.

"I'm fine. Just a bit surprised." I lie. She nods in return before grabbing my hand and leading me inside.

"We have to hurry."

I feel the tension in the air immediately I walked in. The whole place is so silent, you would think the room empty and not filled with hundreds of werewolves. Our packhouse is large enough to hold thousands of people, and some werewolves reside here. But they're mainly people with higher authority, like the Alpha, his beta, and the rest. Some omegas live here too as servants.