Sweet Dreams

Every night since Arthur was three years old, he's dreamed of the boy with the golden eyes. He knows it's wrong how excited he is to see him, but he's only a dream, right?

He really didn't understand it. But, he wouldn't want it any other way, not that he'd tell Merlin.

Ever since he was three years old, he's been having the same dream of a boy.

When Arthur first dreamed of the boy, the boy was only a babe. He looked just he was just born.

Only being three himself, Arthur wasn't sure what to do. So, he just tried to pick up the child. Only his hand went straight through him. I guess touching isn't allowed.

It's always the same place he dreams about. It's a large field with trees surrounding them like a barrier. The skies are always sunny and bright and there is just enough breeze in the air.

Sometimes the boy would be there before him, other times he would get there first and wait for the boy to appear.

The first time he saw his golden eyes was the third night.

Every time, the boy would be sleeping, as a baby should be. On the third day, he was finally awake. Arthur just looked at the little blue orbs staring back at him.

Even as a young boy, he fell in love with looking into those eyes.

After a while, the babe started to try and reach for a flower. Right when Arthur was about to get it for him, the flower plucked itself from the ground and flew to the boy's little fingers. Arthur could only stare at the flower and the descending yellow color leaving the boy's eyes.

Arthur didn't sleep for two days afterward.

On the third night, his father called in Gaius to take care of him. When Gaius came, his father left and Gaius sat next to him.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

Arthur knew his father would be angry if he talked about magic, but maybe Gaius wouldn't.

"Is magic bad?"

Gaius looked stricken by the question and took his time to answer while preparing Arthur a sleep tonic.

"Magic is a force that can be used for good and evil. Magic itself is not evil, but the hearts of men who use magic are evil. Do I make myself clear?"

"I think so."

That night when Arthur that night, he swore that this boy would be his secret, that he would never tell his father or anybody about the boy with the golden eyes.

As the boys grew older, Arthur learned that the boy's name is Merlin and that he was from a village called Ealdor. Arthur believed that was a place his mind made up, like Merlin.

Arthur couldn't wait until he could sleep to see Merlin. He would tell Merlin all about his day. The only thing he didn't tell him was that he was a prince. Arthur knew that Merlin was only a figment of his imagination, but he didn't want the boy to treat him any differently. As far as Merlin knew, Arthur was born in Camelot and lived with his father.

When Arthur was twelve years old, his father ordered him to raid a Druid camp. He wanted to tell him no, that magic wasn't as evil as his father portrayed. That there was a boy in his dreams that showed him it wasn't. But, all Arthur did was nod his head and did as his father told him to.

That night, Arthur dreaded going to sleep but knew he had to.

Even though Merlin was only nine at the time, he immediately knew something was wrong with Arthur. He wouldn't stop pestering him until Arthur broke.