Chapter 5

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. No one could wait for the holidays to start. While the Gryffindors common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the drafty corridors had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classrooms. Worst of all were Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where their breath rose in a mist before them and they kept as close as possible to their hot cauldrons.

Carina and the twins were sat in the Great Hall eating breakfast when they were approached by Professor McGonagall.

"Morning you three, I do hope you plan on behaving today." She stated in greeting.

"Us? Trouble? Pshaw." Fred responds waving his hand dismissively.

"You think you're pretty funny, don't you?" McGonagall questions with thin lips. Fred and George look at each other.

"We think we're adorable." They respond simultaneously, Carina hiding her giggles behind her hand. McGonagall just shakes her head in exasperation.

"Anyway, I'm making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays. Miss Black, I assume you will be one of them." She asks, ignoring the twins. Carina grinned and was about to confirm when Fred flung his hand over her mouth. She turned with her eyebrows raised only to see George had grabbed Charlie and the three gingers were now conversing in excited whispers. Carina, mouth still covered, shared a confused glance with the older professor.

"Carina won't be staying here; she's going to spend Christmas with us." Charlie stated, he quickly ruffled her hair before heading back to his friends.

"Really guys? You want me to come to your house?" Carina asked after peeling Fred's hands away from her mouth. She couldn't keep the smile off her face. The prospect of a real family Christmas lighting her up.

"Yeah, we're not leaving you here alone." Fred said. Carina immediately launched herself on to him in an excited hug. Fred hastily responded wrapping his arms around her with a smug grin.

"Hmm, I'll have to write to your mother to confirm. But I don't see why not." McGonagall walked away with a hidden smile, leaving the three first years to their plans.

"Are you sure that's okay? I don't want to intrude." Carina said worried.

"This'll be awesome Cara, don't even worry about it." Fred reassured.

"Yeah, Mum'll be over the moon, she loves a guest." George joined in. Carina let out a small gasp.

"I have to get everyone gifts, tell me everything about everyone!" She demanded, quickly taking out some spare parchment for notes.

"Don't be ridiculous, they don't need gifts. You only need to worry about us." Fred stated throwing her a cheeky wink. Only to receive an eye roll and a look he had learnt not to contradict. The two Weasleys quickly relented and went over their family.

"Ok so theirs us." Fred started.

"The most important."

"Obviously."

"You know Charlie."

"Dragon weirdo." Fred sing songed. "Then Percy."

"Uber nerd."

"Little Ronnikins."

"He likes quidditch."

"Chudley Cannons."

"Collects chocolate frog cards."

"Always wanted a pet spider." The boys snigger.

"Well I know that's not true, you told me about the teddy bear incident." Carina rolled her eyes, looking up from her notes. The boys share a proud grin before launching back into it.