-ˏˋ 1

CHAPTER ONE

september '76

          WATER SPLASHED AROUND Mei's feet as she darted around the scores of people outside King's Cross Station, tripping and stepping in puddles that reached nearly up to her ankles in her haste

WATER SPLASHED AROUND Mei's feet as she darted around the scores of people outside King's Cross Station, tripping and stepping in puddles that reached nearly up to her ankles in her haste. The ends of her jeans were drenched and she could feel the water pooling inside her shoes, but it was the least of her concerns as she attempted to shove past all the muggles that stood in her way. Honestly, they couldn't have been in a worse spot. She gave one of them a good push and finally got through to the other side, checking the time hurriedly. If she wasn't careful she'd end up missing the train entirely, and she knew exactly what her mother would say to that. She jumped as one of the other trains began pulling out of the station, only to remind herself that she wasn't even on her platform yet — and that she needed to get moving.

      She found the right wall, checked that she had all of her belongings, and flung herself through it with barely three minutes to spare. This year was yet another close call. She really had to start organizing herself better. Her arm twisted suddenly as the door to her owl's cage swung open and he shot out, delighted at the chance to stretch his wings.

"Oh, bloody hell...Boot!" She shouted after him.

        Upon hearing her, he swooped around but flatly refused to return to the cage. Mei was under time pressure, too much to even begin to be annoyed with Boot, and really she was not at all surprised at his antics. He never stopped making things difficult for her.

"Fine, don't come with me. But follow the train, and do it fast." Mei said, bending down and fiddling with the heavy cage door.

It wouldn't shut, and the more she tried the more frustrated she got. She had to use both hands, and she was positive that it wouldn't fit through the train doors unless it was shut — Boot had required a large cage, because he was spoilt like that. That owl was the reason for at least eighty percent of her problems, she thought irritatedly.

The train whistled loudly and she swore under her breath, pulling her wand out and trying to blast the door shut. It didn't work — the ground took a worse hit than the stupid cage. She glanced up to see the train doors beginning to close and she bolted, dragging the open cage along with her and slipping quickly through before they shut. Once she had her feet firmly planted on the train's floor she tried pulling the cage in after her. As suspected, it did not fit through the doorway. She grabbed it with both hands and pulled as hard as she could, nearly denting the doors in her effort to pull it through. Then it dawned on her that she could just shrink it, seeing as it was empty. This method worked, at least, and she succeeded in getting it through the doorway just before the doors shut.

      She sighed, visibly relieved, leaving the cage in the corner — she'd pick it up on her way out — and made her way through the train as it slowly began to pull out of the station. Ten paces in however, her heart dropped as she remembered her trunk. The trunk that she had put down on the platform as she attempted to close the cage.