Fight of a God, Heart of a Mortal

Chapter 26 "Fight of a God, Heart of a Mortal"

Harry was busy packing and getting ready for the trip to Asgard. He had text everyone that he was leaving in two days. He heard back from the twin right away. It seems that they needed a lab to use away from their overbearing mother. He wrote back that he would check with his Parents and get back to them, which he had to do after he finished. Harry stacked all the finished homework in his school trunk ready for when he returned to School. His travel trunk was just about finished with the packing; he needed to get Shadows bowls and favorite toys for the trip.

"Hey Kiddo, you ready to leave this rock?"

"Hey Bucky," Harry smiled opening his locket. "Yeah just about. You look like you're about to leave yourself."

"Yeah I got a mission; another old HYDRA base has popped up I am going to go do some recon, for SHIELD. But I won't be back before you leave for Asgard sorry." The Winter Soldier said apologetically.

"How long will you be gone?" Harry asked thoughts getting quiet.

"I shouldn't be gone more than a week, two tops. I'll be back in time to see you off to school." Bucky pulled the boy into hug trying to reassure him. He knew that the little wizard hated it when he left for missions. Since Harry had been rescued he would stick close to either his parents or Bucky when he wasn't on missions. It was hard being away at school from the man who raised him. Bucky was just a comfort that Harry couldn't quite explain. Once during an extremely terrible flashback like dream he woke in complete terror and his father could do nothing to soothe his son. Loki eventually called to the Winter Soldier for help because he was a familiar presence to the traumatized child. Bucky held Harry all night long as he would do when they had a really bad training day at HYDRA. The Prince could not hate the mortal that held his son because he been there to raise and protect his son when he could not.

"Promise?" Harry hugged back a little tighter.

"I'll do my best buddy. But you'll be so busy in Asgard you won't even notice I'm gone."

"Yes I will." The boy's thoughts muttered as he buried himself into Bucky's chest.

"You'll be okay. I'll be okay like I said its recon only. If I run into trouble then I'll call Uncle Steve to bail me out."

"No question. Bucky always needs me to bail him out of trouble." Steve answered as he entered the room.

"Yeah just calling in the 'you owe me' chips I got. I used to save your Uncle Steve since we were kids."

"Don't listen to Harry he exaggerates. I want you to know Harry, I will always back Bucky up and bring him home. I know you miss him when he's gone, so do I, but he does very important work. We'll have to wait patiently for his return and remember that he will always do his best to come home to us." Steve ruffled the shaggy black hair.

"Yeah, he does." The little demi-god conceded. "You'll be careful though won't you?"

"Of course I will bud."

"Master Barnes, Director Fury is calling. He says that you have ignored his last ten text messages."

"Tell the Director I am on my way in. Leaving in five minutes." Bucky sighed before turning back to the guys he loved more than anything. "Sorry Duty calls. I'll be home soon, promise."

"Stay safe." Steve said hugging his husband squishing Harry between them.

"I will." Bucky smiled before giving his hubby a quick kiss. He reluctantly let go of Steve and Harry and headed off to work.