-two

-----

-i knew you'd haunt all of my what-ifs-

-

"you're late." mikes mom stated the obvious as he walked through the door, soaking wet.

"uhm, yeah. i had a- a question for my teacher and he asked me to help him out with some stuff?" he held his breath, hoping it was good enough for her to believe.

"well," she turned in the kitchen, running to preheat the oven, "everyone should be here in 20 minutes, and i made extra lasagna because i know how much lucas likes it." she smiled warmly.

"alright mom, thank you," he kicked off his shoes, leaving them in the front closet, "i'm going to shower before they come."

as he started to head upstairs, he was stopped, "mike?" his mom called sweetly.

"yes mom?"

"holly's friend is coming over today, please be nice. she has a little bit of a crush on you."

"aw shit steve's sister?" the harrington girl had had a crush on him ever since holly became friends with her. they were both freshman and mike had to see them everyday.

he tried to be nice, he really did, but it was so hard when mini harrington was always around. always trying to talk to him.

"language! and yes, it is steve's sister. now go shower, you smell like teenager." mikes mom ushered him out of the kitchen.

he went up the stairs two at a time, reaching his room and setting down his bag. he crammed last minute laundry into his hamper and made his bed.

mike waked over to the window, going to open it for fresh air when he saw el.

she never really seemed to leave his thoughts and he didn't care. she was nice to think about.

el was running up to her door, laughing to herself before turning around and looking at mikes house.

she sized it up and down, comparing the tall two stories to her own, smaller house. her eyes scanned the windows, and a part of mike hoped she was looking for him.

and maybe she was because she turned her head and their eyes met. he awkwardly waved and so did she. he smiled wide, trying to see if she was happy to see him.

before he could know, she turned away and ducked inside her house.

mike sighed, walking to the bathroom and peeled off his clothes, waiting for the shower to run hot.

he showered fast, mind preoccupied by a certain someone.

the boy walked back to his room in only a towel, not expecting hollys friend to arrive 5 minutes early. he heard them downstairs and tried to duck into his room before-

"mike!" a girl squealed from down the hall. he cringed, turning around awkwardly to face her.

"inez, hey." he smiled uncomfortably, watching her jaw drop and face blush as she realized he had just gotten out of the shower.