Chapter 10

"We have been waiting for both of you." Mr. Pranav Mishra said as soon as he spotted me and Ronit entering inside my father's study room.

We greeted him and my father.

"You said you want to speak something important." Ronit asked his dad after we all settled in our seats.

"Ronit." My father spoke sitting in his wooden chair behind the large mahogany desk. "You might have heard from your father, about the recent happenings."

"Yes, sir." Ronit said in a tone of obedience.

"I want to discuss about the rights and liabilities of Gauri on Oberoi assets." My father said in a serious tone.

"Mr.Oberoi, I have made a keen study regarding your current condition." Ronit said, "Even though, Ms. Gauri is born out of a wedlock, she still holds the same rights and liabilities as of a legitimate child as per law. She gets the equal share in the property, Mr. Oberoi." Ronit concluded.

Grim silence enveloped the room as my father continued to look out of the window.

"Do you have any objections regarding what Ronit said, Omkara?" My father asked his eyes focused on me.

"No, Dad. I don't want to uphold what rightfully belongs to Gauri." I said sincerely.

"Prepare the papers to transfer the shares on Gauri and arrange for a press meet to introduce Gauri to the business world." My father stated.

"Mr.Oberoi don't take decisions in haste." Mr. Mishra cried.

"Are you saying, I should deny Gauri her rights, Mr.Mishra?" My father asked his voice sharp.

"Pardon me, Mr. Oberoi. My intention is not that but this is not the time." Mr. Mishra answered meekly.

"Mr.Oberoi." Ronit spoke, "I think what Dad was trying to say is right." He said in a calm tone.

"What are you trying to say?"

"Mr.Oberoi, I appreciate your decision to give Gauri her rights but this is not the right time, we have IBA meet up scheduled in next three months, in which if we win the excellence award, will have a great benefit to Oberoi Industries but now letting the world know about Gauri's existence will create a storm in the media, which can have a drastic effect on Oberoi industry share value and reputation."

"What are you implying?"

"We should wait for few months and plan a perfect strategy before we let anyone know about Gauri as your daughter." Ronit explained, "Not only this Mr. Oberoi, but in the phase Gauri was now in, introducing her to the business world will cause her more damage than the good, I don't think she is not ready for the lime light and all the things that comes with that. You know how cruel the world can be once they know Gauri's reality, so, we should let Gauri adjust to this world and develop a thick skin before we take any further step."

My father seemed to be in deep thoughts.

"I think Ronit is right, Dad. We should give time for Gauri to adjust in the new environment." I expressed my opinion.

"If that's what you all feels right, then I will agree." My dad said in a defeated tone.

"Thank you, Mr. Oberoi for understanding, have a great day." Ronit said before exiting the room, taking leave for the day along with his father.

Now it's me and my father standing in the silence of the room.

"How are you feeling, Dad?"

"I won't say I am good but yes, I am feeling better, Gauri is also warming up day by day." My dad smiled.