Chapter 5 - I love you too

The night was cold. The wind had died out after blowing the sky clear from all the clouds, revealing all the millions of stars blanketing the otherwise dark sky. The moon was just a sickle, barely visible. Merlin was walking further from the campsite, from the warm fire, fallen leaves rustling beneath his feet with each step. Arthur was following not far behind, until Merlin came to a stop and turned around to face Arthur.

Merlin was nervous, needless to say. He was about to tell the king of Camelot that he's in love with him. Little did he know Arthur shared these feelings. But maybe he would find that out soon enough. "Arthur..." he started, keeping a short pause, still figuring out in his head exactly what to say. Arthur was looking at the man he loves, trying to guess what was bothering him while the other was struggling to get words out of his mouth. Merlin took a deep breath, before finally opening his mouth to say, "Arthur, I love you, I always have. I understand that you might not share these feelings, but it doesn't change anything. I still love you, and I always will, and I will continue to be by your side, always, for whatever you need." He was staring into Arthur's eyes the entire time he spoke, but lowered his gaze to the ground when Arthur didn't say anything for several seconds.

Arthur was standing still in front of Merlin, he didn't know what to say. His lips were slightly parted, his eyes looking into Merlin's. When he saw Merlin's eyes drop to the ground, he realised he hadn't said anything yet. He didn't know what he was expecting for Merlin to say, but certainly not this. Although, it is what he had been dreaming of. When he saw the man he loves starting to leave, he grabbed his wrist.

Merlin looked back up, his eyes meeting Arthur's once more. They looked at each other for a few seconds, or maybe it was minutes, Merlin couldn't be sure. Then Arthur opened his mouth after what had felt like forever. "I love you too," he said quietly, before pulling Merlin in for a kiss, a kiss full of passion, a kiss full of love, a kiss that Merlin happily returned.

-----

They returned to the campsite half an hour later, hand in hand, both filled with calm happiness. When they appeared at the others' line of sight, the knights looked at the two's hands linked together, smiles slowly taking place on their faces. Gwaine had a wide grin on his face as he said, "Are you two finally together? Arthur gazed at the man beside him, smiling lovingly, for once not bothering to be annoyed by Gwaine. When Arthur finally tore his eyes away from Merlin's, he looked to the others and nodded, still smiling happily.

The others, who were sitting by the fire, were filled with excitement as their two best friends had finally admitted their feelings for each other.

*****

Sorry about the short chapter, I ran out of motivation.