18: Alienation

Y/n L/n's Deep Space Log: Entry 42

  Few things had become as dull for you as the feeling of weightless drifting through space. You had everything you'd ever need at your fingertips, and the Neptune still had a few months estimated before arrival on earth. This was going to suck.

  In order to pass the time, after finishing the songs you had written, you simply read up the PDA. You taught yourself whatever the humans had to learn, but even then, it was beginning to grow old.

  Old, just like everything else, you supposed.

  By the time you stirred awake, Marina was gone, as always. The blanket fort was still up, and light was starting to shine through, waking you up.

  Strange... once again, your sleep had been undisturbed. No nightmares had plagued your brain. It didn't take you long to figure out why.

  Marina. Marina was that reason why. Any time you sat down and slept beside her, with you in her embrace or vice versa, you felt safe. Nothing could get you out there. Not when you were safe in your own peace of mind.

You had just enough room to sit up, looking around. You blinked your eyes a few times, yawning. You heard shuffling as a smaller shape, probably 3, crawled out of the large fort. You paused for a bit, deciding to crawl out in time to see her enter the kitchen.

  In the kitchen, Pearl was sitting at the countertop, using a high stool to face Marina. Her expression was blank, her face a bit pale.

  "Hey, Marinaaaa?" Pearl waved a hand in front of her best friend's face, failing to get her attention. This was how it had been for the last few minutes, since Pearl first walked into the kitchen for a cup of heavily sweetened coffee. How you took the stuff black, once again, she would never understand.

  "Reeeeenaaaa." Pearl poked Marina's hand, snapping her into reality with a jolt of her head.

  "Oh, Pearl. Morning." She greeted. Pearl rolled her eyes, sipping her coffee.

  "Don't you 'morning' me. You had me thinking you'd gone catatonic." Pearl told Marina with a laugh. Marina nervously laughed as well, which definitely started to raise some flags.

"Hey Marina, did something happen last night?" Pearl asked. Marina thought back to the question, before an almost scared look covered her face, and she swallowed.

"No... it's got something to do with Y/n." Marina admitted. Pearl's expression started to harden up, before the door to the kitchen opened, and 3 walked through, yawning quietly to herself, before seeing Pearl and Marina talking.

"Morning, ladies." She greeted, grabbing herself a cup of coffee.

"I'm not interrupting something, am I?" She asked.

"Ye-"

"No, you're fine." Marina told her, giving her a warm smile. 3 gave her a you sure? kind of look, before looking down at Marina's hands.

  "You're shaking, Marina." 3 noticed. Marina looked down at her hands. True to 3's words, Marina's hands were quivering.

  "Did something happen between you and Y/n?" 3 asked. Marina shook her head.

  "Don't worry about it, 3, okay?" Marina told her. 3 sighed, her eyes growing serious.

  "Seriously, if something's wrong, you can tell me." 3 offered.

  "Yeah, because you've definitely proven yourself mature in the past." Pearl remarked sarcastically. 3 decided to ignore that.

  "Listen, I may be... less than partial to Y/n, due to his status as Agent 4, but I promise, my suspicion is not misplaced." 3 assured the two.