The River

The water flows beneath me, dreamily, it laps thirstily at my exposed skin, my fingers stretch out loosely, floating with the gentle ripples, my long blonde hair splayed wildly about my head, the pale blue shift I wear is slick to my skin as I soak happily in the fresh water, my eyes remain closed softly as the peaceful surrounds envelop me.

Peace. Complete and utter peace.
Though it is peace in a moment that I know is simply a dream bubble that I've let myself become fully encompassed by.

So be it.

I slowly move my arms along the surface of the water, creating a soothing rhythm of movement in my minds eye.
The calming trickling of the fresh stream about me brings a lazy smile to my lips as I continue to float along the endless stream.

Wriggling my toes, I imagine a tiny bunny hopping along the side of the stream, following me curiously.

I let out a long, dreamy sigh.
Lavishing in the long and beautiful dream space I've found for myself.

Inhaling a deep, refreshing breath, the unforgettable smell of iron fills my nostrils.

My dream shatters into a million tiny shards in an instant and I try to sit up, splashing about as I bring myself to a struggling paddle, the stream now starting to suffocate me, coating my entire body in a thick, unhealthy dark ooze. I lift my arm, tendrils of something with a deep red and goo like consistency wraps around the length of my arm, unwilling to let go.

In a panic I try and tear it away, though it seems to only make the tendril shred, splitting at the seams, the insides weeping bloody tears into the river of blood I'm swimming through.

Splashing terrified towards the closest bank, I find no matter how hard I paddle, I get no closer and I feel the river rising and pulsing, being dragged further into the tide.

I keep swimming fruitlessly, hopelessly trying to save myself from this nightmare I'm in, but the dream only gets worse as bony, lifeless fingers wrap around my left ankle, attempting to pull me under.

Gasping, I manage to somehow paddle harder, terror ripping through my core, my heartbeat out of control now. I kick and kick and kick, desperate to remove the hand from my ankle, but it won't let me go and then in a breath I am under, my hair floating up swiftly as I am dragged down, further and further into the darkness of the river of blood and countless bodies that I have glimpsed around me as I lose sight of the surface, being sucked into the dark abyss beneath, into my nightmares.

The River has taken me, mind, body and soul.