Part One, Chapter Four

One chapter a day?

**

"Good Morning," Raven said.

The rain outside drowned out her words.

"Morning."

"Would you care for some coffee?"

"I'd love to," Jean Luc replied as he settled down on a seat around the kitchen table.

She set it down before him, and another for herself before her phone rang. An irritated sigh escaped her lips. She had not forgotten about the plan, not for a second, but it was peaceful with Jean Luc for the past few days. She did not have to worry about removing evidence from her victims or carving the two letters she dominated into skin.

"Hey," Raven said into the phone.

"Dom," Celie said, a message that showed that the next step of the plan was taking place.

A member of the crew, Dominic, would be marking and disposing of a victim as Raven. This could remove most eyes from her instantly.

"Good," came the reply before Raven put on yet another show for Jean Luc. "I was hoping I could take a break after the last incident. I'll be back soon, but right now, it isn't safe."

"Sure. Take as long as you want with the man with information. Make sure you bite his finger off."

Raven rolled her eyes. If Celie made her laugh and break out of character, she would be pretty bitter.

"Thank you."

"Of course. Anything for you."

Raven could almost visualise the wink that came after that sentence. She hung up before she could add a comment.

"It was my boss," she told Jean Luc.

"Pretty obvious. How long are you allowed to stay home."

"As long as I need, apparently."

"That's great news," he responded with a genuine smile. That look made something unfamiliar and warm surge into her chest.

Sitting across him around the table, Raven let out a quiet sigh. Days with him had been calming and glorious, and she was quietly enjoying it. However, she craved going outside.

"Hey," Raven said abruptly. Jean Luc perked up. "Don't the demon only hunt at night? We are relatively safe during the day, aren't we?"

"I wouldn't say safe, but if you need to go out for groceries or something, I could help you."

Raven waved her hand dismissively before standing and grabbing the hand of Jean Luc. His hand covered hers entirely, and the sensation made her heart skip. She only felt this way after getting away with doing something bad, but holding his hand was all it took for her to feel this way. It was quite comforting.

"The coffee--" Jean Luc exclaimed, but his words trailed away as Raven led him outside the door, into the rain. They sprinted five minutes away from the cottage.

There, around them, there was simply an empty road. Their body and clothes were drenched, but Jean Luc did not give much objection except a baffled look.

--

What was this woman doing? Jean Luc thought.

She darted outside her home as if she had no murderers watching her back, into the heavy rain.

He was about to question her when Lucinda decided to lie down in the middle of the road. Her clothes were soaked and see-through, but she did not seem to care.