Chapter Twenty Eight

Her father was crazy! He planned to live forever? Ana knew that the encantos were not immortal -they only lived longer compared to an average human life span. Encantos would also grow old and die once they decided to give up their soul and go to an everlasting rest in the Otherworld. Only the gods were immortals.

"What do you mean?" Her voice trembled with terror upon realizing the magnitude of letting her lunatic father rule the kingdom eternally.

"My powerful benefactors assured me that I will be granted with immortality if I will do as what they say. And that includes eliminating you. I never really wanted to have children -all I wanted was the crown. But your mother was such a..." He gave her a knowing smile. "I just could not help myself but ravish her in bed."

Ana tried to lunge towards her father to throttle him but couldn't since her wrists were bound behind her. Instead she spat at him. "You're despicable. That's your wife you're talking about! We're your family; I'm your daughter!"

He let out a hollow, sinister laugh that echoed through the cave walls, causing the bats above to flap their wings, then flew past their heads and out of the cave. "I told you, I never really wanted to have children." He stood and started walking back and forth, his hands clasped behind his back, talking to Ana as if he was trying to explain something complicated to a little child. "When King Dimitri made that cursed betrothal contract with the elves, my benefactors were alarmed. Uniting the vampires and the elves through marriage will create a catastrophic obstacle with their grand scheme to create a new empire in the realm. That was why I did everything to prevent it from happening. I had thought my problem was solved when your mother presented me with dead child. But your mother, that cunning woman, hid you in the human world when she was alerted by a seer of what future the unborn child will have.

"As for Kristoff, he grew up without any regard for the crown. It was evident he has no any inclinations towards becoming king someday. So that boy never really poses a threat over my plans. Your mother -now, I couldn't really kill her. I needed her at my side for the people of Sanggre absolutely adore that little slut."

"Don't you dare call my mother that!"

"Slut. Whore. Harlot. I can go on all night describing her as such. She was having an illicit affair with Marcus. But I let her do as she pleases. I do have a harem of nymphs of my own."

Oh god! Her mother was having an affair with the captain? Ana slightly shook her head. Now was not the time to question and judge her mother. And probably it was her father who forced her mother to find love or affection elsewhere.

"Why did you have to suddenly show yourself here in the realm?" King Viktor suddenly asked, sounding as if he was blaming Ana for stumbling into a portal to another world. "I had ordered Isobel to kill you, but that dim-witted bitch was such a disappointment -always a failure."

"Lady Isobel? What are you trying to say?"

"Isobel is my mistress, a fact your mother was not aware. I told her I would make her my queen if she dispatched you. That fool believed me, of course. She tried to poison you, tried to incinerate you by leaving the windows open when it was apparent you were starting your change, crafted an accident with your carriage... But death was just so elusive to you."

They were already trying to kill her from the beginning! She was not aware of someone poisoning her, but the opened window and carriage accident... It was all orchestrated by her father and Lady Isobel.

Ana glared at the heartless monster she once called her father.

The king, however, was unperturbed by her murderous glare. Instead he continued, "But that pesky husband of yours was beginning to get suspicious. So he dragged you all the way to Eldar where he thought he could protect you."