You Are The Only One - Sergey Lazarev

THUNDERSTORM AU shh it counts
[contains: language]
__________________________

[a/n: this chapter is for a oneshot competition by SoftForDream - congrats on reaching 700 followers!! those people are pog and you're amazing 😎
the linked song fits perfectly with the vibe at the end of the story, so please look for a note that says [play song] or something to know when to start it :3 I promise it's worth it to time it right!
the title is a joke because the only lyric I remember from that song is "Thunder and lightning, it's getting exciting!" so that's something sjdjjddh yeah it has nothing to do with anything]

==========================

Dream stared out of the window, eyes locked on the pavement outside his small shared apartment. Rain hit the sidewalks with tremendous force, echoing through the thin glass and into the room. He had to focus hard to see past his own reflection, as all the lights in the bedroom had been turned on.

He gripped the sill, steadying himself against the wall. The inside of his cheek was sore from how much he had been chewing on it, but Dream didn't let up. He just kept staring; waiting; hoping that the storm wouldn't show. He could handle rain no problem, but thunder? No, that wouldn't do.

The front door creaked open and shut, and sloppy footsteps accompanied the soft clatter of keys being put on the kitchen counter. Bags crinkled from out in the hallway, and Dream turned around to welcome his roommate home.

George called out Dream's name from the foyer and was met with a soft response. He appeared in the doorway of the bedroom, hair slick with rain. After a small hello and a wave, the Brit was about to move along, but he almost did a double take once he really looked at his friend.

His casual smile turned confused when he saw the way Dream was pressed against the window. Despite being 6'3", his form was crumpled; childlike. The demeanour of a scared dog.

"Hey," Dream sighed. "Did you get in okay? The roads are slippery."

"What's wrong with you?" George chuckled, ignoring the question. "You look like you shit yourself."

Dream wheezed, crossing his arms over his chest. If George kept cracking jokes like that, the rain wouldn't even be audible over the tea kettle whistles he emitted.

"Wow, thanks," the blond rolled his eyes. Despite that, he shook his head dismissively. "It's whatever."

George didn't seem convinced, but didn't press.

"It's coming down pretty hard out there," he leaned on the doorframe. "I heard there's lighting on the forecast."

"Yeah, so did I," Dream mumbled, worriedly turning to look back out the window.

George's reflection was clearly visible on the glass, radiating with concern.

The reflection disappeared momentarily as the outside world became nothing but white for a split second. Dream blinked, unsure if his vision was playing tricks on him. He held his breath, goosebumps making their way up his arms. Rain kept pattering away, filling his ears with erratic droplets until a different sound emerged from the dark. Deep, low rumbling snaked over the city, reverberating through the floorboards of the apartment. God, there it is, Dream thought, screwing his eyes tight.

George walked up beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder. It was still ice-cold from being outside, but the sensation was grounding regardless.

"Are you okay?" George asked. "Do you feel sick?"

"No, no," Dream laughed, "it's not that."

A flash of lightning bolted through the sky again, stifling Dream's laugher as it choked in his throat. George looked outside, squinting past the reflections. He huffed, watching as rivers of rainwater flew across every inch of road.