Chapter 33

We carried on into the mountains, edging a path through the broken ground. We continued to move through the night, for though it was slow going it kept us moving and thus warmer during the coldest times. We were able to hide up as best as we were able during the day and attempt to sleep besides the small smiles that smoked faintly.

The further we went into the mountains the less our guides seemed to know where we were going. The rain swept down in thin blankets that seeped through our clothes. The clouds hung close and a mist lay between the mountains causing doubt as to which way was which. It was as if trying to move in the dark was not difficult enough as it was! Often, we had to double back from some valleys that proved to be impassable, and I just thanked my luck that despite the odd twisted knee or ankle that plagued us, nobody had broken a bone at least on the treacherous, undulating ground. I was realising quickly why nobody had been successful invading these mountains. It was hard just to walk through. The tracks were narrow and deeply puddled, with thick mud. The grass could have been littered with caltrops for how slow they made a man's progress through them. Small clumps of knotted grass and soil were densely spread throughout any open space, that the men blackly referred to as baby's heads, made each step a threat to ankles, and you would hear cursing puncture the night as men swore at bites of pain, or accompanied by the clash of metal as men tumbled over in the dark. Every time this happened, I would wince inwardly, as if expecting the sounds to bring the waiting hordes of enemy warriors down upon us. But as I warned the men to try and control themselves, I then went down in a crash of metal and swear words as it felt like my knee had been stabbed with a hot knife as it twisted.

'You need to control yourself more.' Agravaine told me, his expression deadpan and I was glad the darkness hid the red of my face.

We were trying to make our way towards a wood the guides were sure was there but could not seem to find. The first paling of the darkness was showing and we still had not found a wood. I bit my lip, wondering if there was a deep valley that we could perhaps hide in but suddenly there was a whistle from ahead. 'My lord, there's a light.' It was one of the scouts hurriedly making his way back towards me.

'How many?' I demanded in hushed tones.

'Just the one.' He replied, and pointing into the darkness. I couldn't see anything as wisps of mist seemed strewn throughout the air but then the breeze picked up briefly and I saw the faint, muted glimmer of red light. It was probably a small farm then, the wife maybe arising with the dawn to restoke their night-time fire. The farmer himself about to leave the house.

'Ten men, quickly, with me.' I said urgently. 'Drop your bags, weapons and shields only.' The ten men were quickly detailed, and I saw Agravaine attach himself to them as well. I had no time to argue with him, just hissed at them to follow me and began to run.

It was not the best route. If I had gone two hundred yards to the west I would have stumbled onto a path that led all the way to the front door of the homestead but I wasn't to know that. All I had was the flicker of firelight like a tiny beacon to guide me and I ran, cringing at the seemingly thunderous jingle of mail all around us and I gritted my teeth against it but said nothing. I prayed nobody would fall over, and even as I did, I nearly tumbled over myself, feeling pain in my ankle flare as it twisted on yet another tangle of vegetation. I wondered if I was making the right decision, and was thinking as I did what if the farmer had dogs. Would they alert the family? I was comfortable we could deal with a dog or two, but we could not afford anyone from the family escaping to alert the countryside to our presence.

Buildings were taking shape in the darkness as we rose through the mist. I saw the one small building with it's tiny light, little more than a large hut and was obviously the home. To one side there was a small shed and to the other, at a right angle to it was a short but long building that I decided must be the sheds for livestock. Ahead to the right a rooster called it's morning greeting and I nearly screamed for frustration, but still I saw no movement from the homestead.