Chapter 20: Of Dreams And Home

Ben had lost count of days since he was in that cell. And now he was dreaming again.
   In fact, it has been the dreams that have held him alive those past days. Some were about Rey, some were memories from his childhood. But one morning, when he was on the verge of waking up, a completely different one hit him in his sleep.

   He was walking slowly on a battered path, deep into some woods he had never known, never seen. And he was all alone, except for the thin branches that seemed to be whispering around him.

   The forest was quiet, save for the low rustle of leaves above his head. A strong golden gleam was protruding through the thick green layer, and splashed the earth path that stretched in front of him in different shades.

   He cast his gaze across the vastness of trees. So much green… And the thought of green drove his mind somewhere else, to someone he dearly loved. She would love a home in this place. And it is quite similar to Takodana.

   A leaf crumbled under his foot as he stepped on it, and even that was too much for that peaceful silence. Then something drew his attention: a blue butterfly began flapping its wings from somewhere in the confines that bordered the path, and flew directly to Ben.

   His dark brown eyes watched with curiosity as the blue thing was coming closer and closer to him. He had never known that butterflies could be that friendly, and another memory from childhood occurred to his mind. Back then, he used to see those kind of insects very often. But whenever he tried to touch them, they would fly away, as if he were their enemy, as if they sensed a danger in him.

   But now I’ve changed, a voice inside his head reminded him.

   Slowly, he reached out his hand, palm flat, facing the sky. And wonder of wonders, the tiny thing settled on his fingers, flapping its frail wings.

   Ben couldn’t hold back the smile of contempt that tried to push its way out. The butterfly he had been trying to chase as a child was not afraid of him anymore. And he didn’t even force it to come to him, it did willingly.

   It rested there some moments, and Ben felt as if a deep conversation passed between them. It was like an apology from Ben, and acceptance from the little being.
   Then he watched as it took flight, circling slowly in the air before his eyes. And that loneliness took over again, when the butterfly became no more than a bright spot against the greenery.

   His paces brought him on. Until a strange yet known voice drew his attention.

   “There is no light without the Dark.” Its rang was clear and strong in his ears. From everywhere, and from nowhere.

   The same voice he had heard when he was back in the Crystal Caverns with Rey. He did and did not know what it meant.
   His present self had no idea. But his self from the future did.

   He turned his head this way and that, confused. Why was he so alone? What was he supposed to do? Was something good happening? Or something bad?

   He only knew the answer when another voice spoke, this time from his left side. “Ben…” It called him. And he knew that thin and gentle timbre at once.

   “Rey?” he responded her call before he tore through the grass and branches and leaves splayed on the ground, among the trees, following the path where her sound had come from. 

   He stopped in the middle of a clearing to catch his breath. It was ragged from great anticipation, and his heart was racing. He didn't know what it was, but he knew it was good. He could feel love, and a feeling long forgotten... Home.