A new route

"Come on, wimp, pick up the pace!" yelled Tennessee from her position slightly ahead of you.

You kept up with her as she began leading you up a hill, but your legs were burning. You'd been running for nearly an hour at this point, but still didn't see any end in sight. It was odd to you that she had decided to change your standard PT route, but you dared not complain for fear of being scolded by your superior.

Ever since you volunteered to fight on land for the Azur Lane, you'd been training with Tennessee to become stronger, as she was already one who was deeply into training. She would run with you, fight with you, and shoot with you. More recently you'd even spent time with her outside of training, though she still seemed to be quite strict about things.

You felt as though you were running on none more than the last of your stamina, especially with the added weight of the rucksack you were given, but you pushed on to make sure you could make it for her. Tennessee turned around to see how much you were struggling, and for the first time you seemed to see that she had some sort of worried look. Though fleeting you felt something stir in you at seeing her face as her countenance went back to being her usual stern glare. "We're almost there, just keep going," she stated. Was she pleading?

You reached the top of a hill that stood over the naval base, where there stood one old tree that leaned against the horizon. You began catching your breath when you noticed Tennessee watching you from beside the tree. You looked over to her to ask if there was anything more she wanted you to do, but instead found that she was standing beside a small basket with a tarp set upon the ground.

"What's this?" you asked. "Is it for our workout?"

"No, stupid!" growled Tennessee before turning away from you. She cleared her throat and continued, "It... it's something else." You approached her and stood beside her as she picked up the basket. "Sit." she ordered. "Please."

You did as she asked and knelt against the tree, setting your gear down against the same tree perpendicular to yourself. You wiped the sweat from your brow before speaking up, "So, what next?" you asked as you looked back up to her, at which point you saw her with a bowl of water that she dumped onto you. "What the..." you started before being answered by Tennessee.

"Wash up!" she ordered.

"Wash up?" you asked, "But we have another trek to take on the way back."

"Just do it," she said, handing over a bar of soap and a prewarmed shower bag.

You took them from her and looked around, "Where am I supposed to shower?"

"We're standing under a tree, no? Go on and wash," she stated, somewhat flustered. On noticing you staring at her, she blushed and added, "Look I'm not going to peek OK, so- so don't get any weird ideas." You shrugged and walked around the tree, hanging the shower bag upon a branch and stripping down in order to wash yourself.

You closed your eyes and began scrubbing yourself down as the water poured over you from the bag hung above you. Scrubbing your hair, you looked up to see Tennessee peeking slightly, at which point she turned around quickly again allowing you to finish up. "You have any clothes for me?" you asked.

"In your ruck sack," she responded not turning around.

"Can you bring it for me?" you joked, expecting her to tell you to get it yourself. Tennessee stood still, but instead of doing what you expected, she took the bag, turned around, and – keeping her eyes avert from you – she passed the bag to you.

You opened the bag and found inside a checkered button up with pleated wool pants as well as a fresh change of underclothes and some other things that you were unsure what to do with. "Uh, is this the right bag?" you asked her.