Chapter 1

Adrien's POV

The setting in front of me was beautiful. The night air of Paris and the bright city lights were a welcoming calm from my sitting spot on the Eiffel Tower. The day was, once again, another failure and I appreciated the peaceful distraction of watching the passing Parisian citizens below the national landmark.

I was going to tell her today. I was going to confess my feelings after four long years of simple friendship. I love Marinette Dupain-Cheng. More than just a friend. She deserves to know that, right? And I'm losing time. It's our last year at Collège Françoise Dupont before we leave for University. I don't know where we will go from there. I don't know how our future will look. She will probably get her chance at any fashion program and I need to stay here, I have to stay and be Chat Noir for the sake of the city. I can't leave Paris or ladybug but Marinette...she will probably go so far in her career and her life. I have to tell her that I love her before it's too late.

So lost in my own thoughts, I barely notice the soft thud of feet landing behind me. I don't acknowledge my partner's presence until her ladybug red clad fingertips delicately brush my shoulder, causing my body to unconsciously shudder at the warm contact in contrast to the cool night breeze. I turn to her smiling, slightly flushed face and greet her with a tight smile of my own.

"Hey, Kitty," she beams, taking the spot next to me to sit. "Why are you sitting up here all by yourself? Shouldn't you be at home?" I quietly let out a bitter laugh towards myself. I feel more at home in the city wearing this leather superhero costume than I did at home as Adrien. But I wouldn't tell her that.

"Shouldn't I ask you the same, Bugaboo?" I smirked back playfully. Laying back against my palms and leaning close towards her I notice the slight red tint dust her face under her mask, creeping towards her nose and ears. Bopping my nose with her fingertip she pushes my face back a bit before nervously giggling.

"I asked you first," she challenged. I slyly grin at her, slightly noticing how much more confident she's become over the years.

"I just...needed a bit of a break is all," I answer, figuring a vague answer is safer than anything else. I watch her expression fall. She reaches a timid hand for my own.

"Chat, are you sure that's the only thing that's going on?" She asks sweetly. No, I'm a coward, a fraud, all because I can't tell the woman I love how I feel. Of course, I don't tell her that though, and I don't look at her eyes. Because if I do that then I wouldn't be able to lie to my best friend. I glance towards the building not too far away from this peaceful scape. The one that was warm and comforting and always smelled like the delicious baked goods made there. I try to picture what she is doing at the moment. Probably working on her latest fashion project. Or maybe she was playing video games and demolishing her opponent, whoever the poor sap may be. Wish I were that poor sap. I don't stay in this lovesick haze for long when I remember Ladybug's unanswered question. Turning to her I put on my best lazy boy grin and reply as nonchalantly as I can.

"Of course, M'lady," I lie. "But you're right. I should probably get home. You should too, LB, it's getting late." Standing up I take her hand and drag her to stand with me. I reach for my baton before she gently takes my hand again.

"As long as you are sure, Chat," she looks at me with concern. I give in and look into those blue bell eyes of hers. They reminded me so much of hers and I felt my resolve crumbling a bit. I know I could never lie to either of them but I manage to pull my lips together tight and return a sly, catlike wink. Saluting my partner I answer with a quick "Definitely," and a fast "Goodnight, M'lady," before ending what free I had for the night and beginning my route home.

********** Earlier that Day **********

"You know, you really should just man up and do it, kid," Plagg suggested while inhaling a plate of stinky Camembert. I cringe at the sight. "She won't wait around forever. I say rip the bandaid off! Just blurt it out with confidence. No mushy, lovey-dovey stuff!"