New Terrors

Nightmares came again, making me regret hitting the pillow. Yawning with frustration, I slowly rolled out of bed. My legs crumpled on the floor as tingles shot up all over my body. Oh, how I love laminated floorboards!

Lazily moving my arm, I tried to locate my phone on the side table. After many pats, I found my stress reliever and snatched it from the charging station. The device vibrated in my hand, indicating I had a message. Probably Snapchat Teams saying hi after I downloaded it two years ago and let the dust pile on it.

Turning on my Samsung A8, I input the password, too zombified to look at the time. The light attacked my eyes as I flinched at the brightness. My guesses were correct. At least someone pretended to care. I could do with a friend right now. No! If you let people in, they will clog your clockwork and watch you freeze and explode. Too many let downs caused trust issues.

The snap was finished and then an alarm went off on my phone.

"Fucking hell!" I cursed as I chucked my phone onto the bed.

6.27am on the dot. Thanks, phone!

Standing on my feet, I grabbed my phone and turned off the alarm. My father was at work so I had to make my own way to college.

Grabbing the towel off the floor, I walked to the bathroom in our quarter sized bungalow and shut the door. Don't lock the door, you never know when you may need to escape. Don't leave it open, someone could watch you through the kitchen window. Turning the shower on, I began to take off my oversized t-shirt and black sweatpants and stepped in the shower.

Twenty five minutes later, I left the bathroom as a crazy coconut lady. Droplets of water dripped from my shoulder length dark brown hair with natural ginger and blonde highlights and a side fringe to hide me away so no one can see possible tears forming. Society's "perfect" figure is what I was blessed with. Many people told me to be a model, so I let my face be covered in zits and constantly bit my fingernails to beat stereotypes.

Entering the bedroom, I flicked on the light switch and picked out navy blue jeans with a leather belt, a black t-shirt and a leather jacket with black sketchers. Perfect way to blend in, I say. Quickly packing my college work, I grabbed an apple from the kitchen and put on my leather backpack. Phone, check. Keys, check. Wallet, check. Mask, check. Earphones, check. Will to go to college and thrive towards a future, invalid response.

Yup, everything is normal. Placing earphones in, I played depressing songs to endorse myself into people's lifestyles. I'm walking to school, wait was that a shadow? Looking behind me, I sighed in relief, it were just the trees. Stop being paranoid. We have reasons, Taylor.

An hour of walking and countless made up shadows later, I stared at the gates of doom. Social interactions must be avoided to evade being broken again. You can do it, Taylor. One foot in front of the other. One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. Louis Armstrong you legendary quotes master.

Taking a huge sigh, I began my treck to a whole new world as I felt like a traveller on foreign lands. Would I ever get comfortable here? Looking at my phone, I saw that I had an hour to spare. Where was the library?

Gaining up the courage to speak, I went to student services and cleared my throat. The little confidence I had came splattering down as I saw she was on the phone. How come she didn't work at the library? Same reason you won't become a scientist or model, beating stereotypes.

My fingers trembled as I felt like I was being strangled. Just a little longer, Taylor. Pretend everything's fine. The phone slammed on the receiver as she sighed with frustration.

"Tough day, huh?" I joked.

That's, it. Be nice and stay clear of drama. Her once frustrated look turned into a forced smile.

"Tell me about it! The principal complained that his place was taken for his baby. I just said it was a car and to go somewhere else, then he began screeching in my ear that it wasn't just an object, it was a she!" She gossips.

I halfheartedly laughed as I gave a fake smile. Her eyes showed true happiness for a second until her job took over her emotions like a switch.

"How can I help you?"

"Where abouts is the library? I'm awfully early and I love reading in spare time. As they say, 'Knowledge is limitless!'."

She pointed me directions and I followed them. My destination became my 360 view as I spun around the scene in awe. So many books to uncover! Grabbing a random book from the crime section, I immersed myself into the detective's point of view, admiring their confidence.