The little pressure cooker

The tall, hunched frame of the man became visible at the veranda. He walked towards the patio, carrying a faded pressure cooker and some broken toys.

"That's a lie. You do eat rats. We know!"

Shaking her head vehemently, Vanji, the ragpicker, faked a broad grin. The children giggled as her beetle nut stained teeth peeped out. Vanji's weary eyes strayed towards her eight-year-old son, Thomba, standing near her with his head lowered: Ignoring the heaviness mounting inside her, she pulled him close to her with a carefully sorted, tight-lipped smile.

The man reached them; his magnanimous presence silenced his nephews. Vanji looked solemnly at the trash in his hands: the only source of food for her family. Waiting no further, she set to work.

Glimpses of her dark, fleshy belly stared out intentionally between the loosely tucked pallu of her sari; as she sat crouched in the car porch inspecting the throwaways.

"Eighty-five rupees, Sir; It's the best I can offer." With a luring grin, she handed out the few notes artfully hidden inside her seductive bosom. As though seemingly rewarding her act, he gestured that it was a gift. Clothing her triumph and disgust in a facade of a smile, she shoved her haul in the wheelbarrow.

It was then at that precise moment, the lady of the house appeared, and with the ferocity of a tigress, she snatched the cooker away.               

                                                              ***

No one should ever take a gift back! That was one of the lessons taught by her mother. A pity that wealth does not imbibe or pass on any such values.

"HOW CAN YOU, UNCLE? IF SOMEONE SHOWS A BIT OF FLESH, YOU GIVE AWAY ANYTHING?; AND YOU, PLEASE LEAVE. THERE'S NOTHING HERE FOR YOU AT THE MOMENT ." The lady's voice echoed in her head. Vanji pulled the barrow vigorously.

"Planning to murder someone in that mouse-like head of yours, ay?" Cheeru, her neighbor, sneered at her from the pavement. The smoke from her bidi hovered over her thin form.

Halting the barrow, Vanji came and sat next to her while Thomba opted the barrow to rest his feet.

Cheeru looked at her curiously as Vanji took a puff from her bidi. 

"Ain't ever opening ma dream shop! Forget the shop, ay! I ain't got anything to eat tonight."

She paused to take another puff. 

"Ain't sending Thomba to any school either, to be teased by other kids. I ain't let that happen."

Cheeru rubbed her shoulders."Whut happened?"

Vanji took another puff."That woman! I was hoping to buy some food for ma boy. But she snatched ma haul away. Arrogant creatures."

"Whom are you talking about, ay?"

"That woman, she lives in the Baradand colony. Right side, corner house."

"Fair and pretty, ay?"

Vanji couldn't help agreeing to it.

"Amaya Madame?"

Vanji shrugged, not bothering to answer.

"Hah, The rich! She often comes on the mobile. "

"Whut? "

"See, don't tell anyone. Kimcha gave me this." Cheeru took out a smartphone from her sack.

"So, your son started stealing again?"

"Shush! You wanna see her or not?"

Vanji turned her face away.

"This is her, ay?"