Day 2:

Chapter Two: Day 3 (Skipped a day)
The days were slowly fading away. The time Kyo had to spend with Tohru was shrinking by the second. He was back at the hospital a day later, walking through the blank hallways, breathing in the overly clean air. Kyo has always hated hospitals, ever since his mother passed.

Her death had been another hit to his mental state. For years he had gone around believing he had been the cause of his mother's suicide. Tohru had helped him through it, shown him that it wasn't his fault, that his mother had made her own choice. He could finally breathe again, his vision no longer clouded with the judgment of himself.

Now, being in a hospital, the very hospital where his mother had been when they attempted to save her, he felt as if he would never breathe again. The walls were slowly closing in, trapping him into a corner, forcing him through one exit, the exit he did not want to take, the goodbye he could not seem to say.

Like the day before, Kyo paused at the door to Tohru's room. Hesitant to see how much more sick she was than the day before. Bracing himself, he opened the door, looking anywhere but at Tohru as he entered.

Finally, after 10 minutes of standing by the door, looking at anything but the sickly girl in the bed, he knew he couldn't take it. He turned abruptly, only glancing at Tohru for a second. But that second was long enough to take everything in. Not that there was much to take in.

Tohru had lost so much weight that you could see her thin bone structure under her skin, her arms and legs looked like twigs beneath the pristine white sheets. Eyes closed, hands by her sides. A position so unnatural and soldier-like it made Kyo wince.
Hurrying down the hallway he took in deep breaths. A few nurses dotted around the corridor carrying out jobs glanced at him with concern. None bothered to approach him though, perhaps they knew that wasn't what he needed.

What he needed was Tohru.

Every single ounce of his being, every atom and molecule in his body yearned for the comfort of Tohru. But that wasn't possible.
It made him angry. So, so angry. Why was it someone as pure and gentle as Tohru that had to suffer through such pain and torment. Before she became lethargic and barely responsive, she still had elements of sickness.

But no matter how sick she was, she constantly insisted that she do her part. It got to the point that Kyo had to forcefully take her back to her room one day. She had tried to get up and start doing chores like hanging the washing, only to collapse. Kyo had managed to catch her (without initiating the curse) and put her in the wheelchair that she refused to use.

Upon getting back to her room, she had looked at him, and though she never uttered a single word, Kyo knew what she needed. She had hugged him through some pillows and sheets, enough to prevent the curse from ruining everything.

Before Kyo knew it, Tohru was crying. His immediate reaction with most girls when they started crying - not that he had much experience - was to freak out and then find an escape route. But some unknown emotion took over his body and he acted on instinct.
Within the space of a few seconds Tohru was in his lap, blankets separating them from actually touching. Her tears soaked through the blanket, into his shirt. Each one falling right through his skin, drowning his heart in sorrow.

She sobbed, ugly cried, as he had heard girls whisper in the hallways at school. This wasn't a concern of Kyo though. Despite his natural attraction to Tohru's physical appearance, it was her heart that he loved the most. And hearing it break so much, something so fragile shattering into pieces, forever unfixable. Tore Kyo to bits more than anything else ever could.

No rejection, heartbreak, or curse could ever compare or dissipate his feelings for the fragile girl he had had in his arms.
Kyo started running through the hospital halls. He had to get out, there was no way to stand it anymore. Some people have him strange looks, others looked sympathetic. They knew what he was running from, he was running from the inevitable. The undeniable fact that eventually he will have to say goodbye.

At the park across from the hospital, Kyo found an empty bench beneath a willow tree and sat down. For a few moments he was completely alone, apart from the odd bird in the trees and the tears tracing down his wet cheeks.

"Kyo," an accented voice broke through the peace, bringing both sorrow and relief to Kyo's heart. "What are you doing here on this bench in an empty park?"

Kyo lifted his head and rested his gaze on the brightly smiling Sohma walking towards him. Momiji took a seat next to Kyo and furrowed his brows, gazing at him with uncertainty.

"The hospital is just over there, were you visiting Tohru?" He asked expectantly. Kyo looked him in the eyes, contemplating his answer. Momiji had not seen Tohru in her current state, he stopped visiting about two months beforehand when Yuki sat him down and explained that he could no longer visit, or rather, that he shouldn't.

"Yes, I was." Kyo answered hesitantly. Momiji's face morphed into a look of sorrow. He leaned back further and tilted his head up to the sky, his gaze showing he was in a place far from there.

A place where, Tohru, meant warmth.

(Sorry this is so short! I'll probably come back at some stage and make this one much longer.)