Mirai's Star Part II

Aer baby bulge weighed Mirai down, pulling aer down like a stone into the seat across from Song's desk. The office in Constellation's Alcyone tower had pleasant star lighting and personalized scented thermostat air wave; Mirai's coccooned aer in warmth from the outside chill — and lilac, her favorite scent — without disturbing Song's cool or her olfactory system.

"Bad news," said Song. "The dub animus package is off the table. There's good news, though."

"Hold on, the deal's off the table? I scraped up everything I have, cleaned house and sold my production company, my penthouse, my investments, and gave up all my magic subscriptions. No link teleportation, no mood control, no fucking eternal life. How much more do you want?"

"Just hold up a moment. It's not about the money. Constellation wants to offer you dual animus transfers, free of charge, in exchange for a research contract." Which Song slid across the desk to aer. Mirai didn't need to slid aer eyes over the front page to know what the company wanted. "You're asking me to let my babies be test subjects?"

Another document slid across the desk. "We're not asking."

Mirai picked up the second sheaf of airprint papers. Feather light in aer hands, they weighed several tons in aer heart — but the legalese went straight overhead. Song explained. "As per legislation dating back to the pre-Solari era, Constellation owns immortality itself. Including every animus. Including yours. Your first immortal ancestor, when first infused with a Constellation animus, was bound by certain laws.

"The animus that fuels your immortal life isn't yours — which is why you paid Constellation a subscription fee. Think of it like a rental fee. Now, that animus will pass to your twin children — but it's still Constellation property. Hence, the contract, whereby we own their shared immortal soul, makes the offer of providing the two infants with two animae of their own — in exchange for the research Constellation will need to conduct on them. We will raise the children in our facilities and test their capability to split one animus into two.

"You have an option here. You can turn down our offer of dual animae and let nature run its course, and the children, if unable to share a single animus as they grow to adulthood, may die. Or, you take the deal, and, assuming the animus transfers work, you guarantee both children immortal lives. What's more, the infants will not deplete your animus, and you will continue to live forever.

"And allow me to clarify — whichever way you choose, Constellation retains the right to use the twin infants as test subjects. When you pass, we will take complete guardianship over them — and we would prefer that they be infused with animae and guaranteed life, so we're sweetening the deal with a little starter nest egg for you and your partner."

"What choice do I have? Doesn't the law allow you to conduct the animus transfer whether I want it or not?"

"No. Your consent is needed before we proceed with animus insemination. It's your body."

"My body, which feels like it's turned on me. No, I don't accept the offer. The one where I sign the dotted line and my children are signed to an eternal life in your research lab. I don't consent. I condemn them, and myself, to mortality. Even if you lock them up their whole lives, I hope they will die as mortals. Fuck immortality, and fuck your research. Fuck your exorbitant prices that force people into making impossible choices. I hope my daughters die of old age before you can solve your stars damn immortality problem."

"I'm sorry you feel that way." Song waved a gnomon casually, but when two guardia linked out of nowhere into the room, it seemed she had sent a communication calling them. "I must inform you that we have the right to hold you if you seem a likely flight risk."

A guardia casually clamped a binding cuff on one wrist; the guardia on the other side slapped on a second.

"To hold me? Where?"

"Temporarily, in our holding cells. We're still building the facilities to raise your daughters in a comfortable environment, but we'll transfer you there when it's ready. You can consent to the animae at any point, by the way, and we'll review your incarceration."

Before the guardia led aer away, Mirai spat on Song's animated pin stripe suit. "Stars damn you, and damn Constellation."

Thank you for reading Mirai's star, fam

Thank you for reading Mirai's star, fam. This is a first draft, so please let me know what you think of the story and its execution!! I am grateful for all of your comments, feedback, and support. Your stars lift me up more than I can say, so thanks for those too!