Chapter 8

LISA'S POV

I was standing near the corner of a bare room with white walls and almost no furniture in sight while a group of people stood facing me. I scanned each of their faces but everyone's features were blurry and disproportionate. They stood in front me, unmoving, before one of them decided to speak.

"There isn't enough to indicate that the threat is genuine, but of course we can never be too sure," a deep, masculine voice said.

I squinted my eyes in an attempt to get a clearer view of who was talking, but everyone's heads suddenly started switching bodies.

The voice continued as I tried to follow all of their movements, "You should know that if you opted not to, there will be repercussions for that as well. There's gonna be backlash and not to mention the contracts you'll be breaking. A lot of people aren't gonna be happy."

I could tell by the tone of his voice that he would be one of those people who would not appreciate me cancelling the event. I knew where he was coming from but I had to think of everyone involved.

"Since it's you who was threatened, it's your decision. But you need to decide now, so we can prepare."

"We should push through. But please make sure everything is secure. I don't mean just my safety but the safety of everyone as well. I might be the one they're targeting, but I'm not the only one at risk." As soon as I said those words, the walls melted and everything turned to ash. Everyone turned to me with scowls on their faces. They started shouting and surrounded me as they pushed me from different directions.

"It's your fault!"

"We trusted you to make the right choice!"

"We should've known better than to depend on you."

"You failed us! You failed them!"

"Please... I didn't mean for it to happen. I know it's my fault," I said as I sobbed.

Out of nowhere, she appeared and shouted, "You should've died too! You don't deserve to live!" She grabbed my neck and started strangling me.

"PLEASE STOP!" I screamed as I opened my eyes. I held my neck, still feeling the ghost of her hands. It was as if my heart was being squeezed. My throat hurt from screaming too much and my voice was hoarse. Sweat soaked through my sheets as I panted, trying to catch my breath.

I looked at the alarm clock on my bedside table. 5:08 am. Way too early to get ready for uni. I got up and grabbed the pack of cigarettes and lighter before heading to the balcony. I needed a smoke. The nightmares had been getting worse ever since I saw Bambam. Before the competition, the nightmares were occasional but recently, it had been happening every night.

I lit the cigarette and took a hit. I felt my muscles relax as I inhaled the smoke, the negative thoughts being dulled at the sensation. The tension slowly left my body. I had already quit smoking, but once in a while, I needed a cigarette to calm me and my thoughts. When I finished the stick, I started to get ready for the day then headed straight to the university.

Today was our last day to review for the finals exam. The girls and I had been studying hard together for the past few days. Jennie and Chaeyoung in particular were the most hardworking amongst us, with Jennie being the model student that she is and Chaeyoung doubling her efforts in order to make up for her low marks during the midterms. The four of us were engrossed with our studies when Chaeyoung's phone rang. She excused herself to take the call outside the library. After a few minutes, Jennie, Jisoo, and I received a text at the same time. Chaeyoung sent a message to our group chat telling us to step outside for a moment. We got up from our seats and exited the library, leaving our stuff inside. We found her standing outside with tears in her eyes and a huge smile on her face.