Chapter 2: Her Past

People often thought that her name meant a type of flower.

But in actuality it had multiple meanings; it was a genus of jellyfish, the chrysalis of an insect, a nymph, and a saint.

She wasn't a flower. She was neither a nurturing cocoon nor a wood nymph. She wasn't a saint or a sea creature. She was just human. She was Aurelia. Just Aurelia.

Did she actually belong to the sea?

She always abhorred the existence of deep, dark, vast water bodies. In her eyes, it was a necessary evil. So the answer was 'no'. She wasn't a part of the sea.

Aurelia was an only child.

Poverty and darkness were her primary caregivers after her birth. During her toddler years, she was normally beaten and starved. It only made her stronger.

She wasn't a weak person since the very beginning. She was delicate in body and kind in nature, but she wasn't afraid to speak the truth.

Her father was a devoted alcoholic and a terrible miser. Her mother was a fraudulent prostitute. They both took out their daily frustrations upon her and her alone.

She became feebler with the passage of time. She was a child born out of misery. Against the odds, she possessed a strong will to survive.

She wasn't one to give up or give in.

She was truly a fighter albeit a gentle one.

Her mother ran away with her father after she got pregnant with her. She was only seventeen at that time. She belonged to a rich, noble, British family. After the deed, her maternal grandparents disowned her mother. Amelia Magdalene Rivers was also an only child.

Aurelia heard that her grandparents were heartbroken after this ordeal. She had no paternal grandparents.

Her father, Carl Stewart Benson was but a poor man; a common mortal. At the time of elopement, he was forty years old.

Her mother always showed interest in older men. She learned it the hard way.

After their elopement, dire financial situations, lack of common goals, wild extramarital affairs, and chaotic misunderstandings ruined her parents' relationship. Amelia and Carl turned from amiable lovers to bitter, pitiless enemies.

Things came crashing down upon them after their honeymoon period. All the love flew right out of the window.

Her father was an unemployed man. He persuaded her mother to elope with him. In reality, he just wanted her family's fortune and fame. But after her untimely disownment, he completely abandoned her.

She had to fend for herself and her unborn baby. In doing so, she took the easy way out. First, she started her career as a stripper and later on, she became a full-time prostitute. She never felt ashamed of her profession.

Her father became an alcoholic, abusive man. He completely ignored her mother's existence. And after her birth, more negative changes came in him.

Aurelia couldn't possibly remember her very early years, but when memories finally started registering in her tiny mind, all she recalled was violence and discord around her. It surrounded her being like an Iron Maiden.

Her biological mother didn't offer her any food on purpose, even though she wined and dined with her many benevolent lovers in expensive hotels.

Her father physically and mentally tortured her. He continuously called her names. It was like she was an unwanted commodity on the shelf of life; a ragdoll; a burden; a nobody.

When she turned twelve, she ran away from home. Why?

Because her own father thought that she was physically attractive.

She never returned and never looked back.

Luckily, somehow she managed to get to her maternal grandparents. They welcomed her with open arms.

She found the light through their love and care. She became delightful and happy in that very household.

Emerald Magdalene Rivers and John Harold Rivers were both old, with a heart of gold.

With the passage of time, they polished her. They groomed her personality. They provided her with all the necessities of life.

She obtained higher education. Took over her grandparents' flower shop. She was quite happy with her life.

But every good thing must come to an end.

When she turned into an adult, her world came crashing down upon her. Maybe fate never wanted to see her happy. Her sorrows were vast and good remembrances were scarce.

Her grandparents were murdered in their sleep. She was spared. It didn't seem like a blessing to her. It felt more like a curse.

She couldn't handle their passing away. Whoever killed them, certainly wanted to torture her. It was her fault. It was all her fault that they had died.

But there was more to it. Everything was related. It was a case of revenge. She was heartbroken and lonely, but nothing made sense.

xxxxx