chapter three

chapter three:: mother knows best

SENDING the boys away took longer than I thought, maybe because all they did was complain and talk a lot, making me lose my concentration. Though when I did happen to send them away, I couldn't get them off my mind- or at least their purpose to me. I lost every ounce of sleep the following night, so when I made it to school, Evan could instantly tell.

"You look like hell," Evan bluntly greeted before holding out his coffee, "You need it more than me."

"Is this why we're besties?" I tried to smile but I couldn't wait to drink his coffee.

"No, it's because we both find Luke cute," He commented and I raised my brow at him. How did he know Luke's name? I only just found out last night? Why does he think I find him cute? I mean he isn't ugly-

I shook my head of my rambled thoughts to keep my composure, "Luke?"

"Girl, Luke Hemmings? Five Seconds of Summer?" He told me and my eyes went wide in realization. He playfully rolled his eyes and put the coffee to my lips, "Gosh, no more talking. Just drink."

I laughed wearily, but reluctantly finished the coffee before we went to class, "It's just I've had a rough night."

"I can tell," He hummed, "What happened?"

"I summoned those ghosts I was telling you about," I answered and he grabbed my arm to stop us from walking.

"Dawn, are you serious?" He asked and when I nodded, he raised a brow, "Didn't you tell me that you swore yourself from just talking to any ghost? You said you would only contact your father."

"Yeah, but I thought these ghosts would be helpful since I saw them randomly without a dream or some type of induced tea," I mumbled, noticing we were still standing off to the side.

"And were they? Were they help?"

"Um," I paused, "Not really." He then gave me a look, "Hey, don't worry, I don't think I'm doing it again. They were a pain in the ass."

"Good because don't summoning ghosts weaken you?" He wondered and I nodded, rubbing my forehead. It was true, it does weaken me, but I usually pay it no mind since the only person I contact is my father. But due to yesterday, instead of taking my usual dose of one person a day, I took four in the total of a day, practically draining me. I just thought they would give me answers like basic ghosts and spirits do, but they were useless.

By time it was my fourth class for the day, I couldn't even hold my eyelids open midway through. I just needed almost 12 hours of sleep to overcome it all.

"Tired, are we?" I heard and turned to my left to see one of the ghosts from yesterday, Reggie, kneeling beside me. Instantly, I jumped, causing a few heads to look at me before I mumbled apologizes. When I looked back to where Reggie was, I saw no one there, causing me to rub my eyes. It's just my lack of sleep, I thought, I'm losing it.

I then looked down at my notebook, about to write notes down, but I quickly noticed my pen was gone. I furrowed my brows, but look around my desk to not see my pen in sight until I look up and see the other ghost, Luke, holding it with a smirk. At his smirk, I could tell I wasn't losing it like I thought.

I glared his way, but raised my hand until the teacher called on me, "Can I go to the bathroom?" I wait for my teacher's approval before hurrying out of my seat and into the hallways to see the boys leaning against the lockers, everyone smiling except Alex and I. I held my glare, "How did you find what school I go to?"

Reggie then stepped up, "Because our new friend, Julie, goes here and we just did this amazing performance-" Instantly, Luke hit Reggie on the back of the head, shutting him up.

"We can also do research like anyone can in 2020," He mocked me and I give him an unamused look as he fixed his orange beanie.

"We were walking down the hall and saw you about to fall asleep in class," Alex then explained and I slowly nodded, but crossed my arms over my chest.

"Okay now, what performance?"

"For the assembly," Reggie simply answered to get hit again by Luke, "Can you stop that?" Luke rolled his eyes, but I looked up and down the halls to make sure nobody was seeing me talking to people they couldn't see.

"Who's Julie?" I asked and Reggie was about to answer, but looked at Luke before doing so to see he was giving him a warning look, so he stayed quiet.

Luke then cleared his throat, "That's none of your business."

"Says the ghosts who were bothering me in class," I scoffed.

"Coming from the witch who teleported us into her bedroom," Luke retorted and I groaned.

"I'm not a freaking witch," I rubbed my temples, noticing that I was even losing my strength standing. Though I looked at them and stepped back, my body feeling drained by the second, "Look, I have to go. Just- just leave me alone."

"No, wait!" Alex hurriedly said before I could turn around. I watched him nudge Luke, "Just ask her."

"Fine, okay!" Luke huffed out, "During our performance, people saw us, but when we stopped playing, we disappeared."

I raised a brow, "This concerns me how?"

"Because you are the only other person who can see us still without us having to play," He went on, "We want someone who is an expert at this supernatural stuff to help us figure it out."

"Is this your way of asking me for help?" I wondered and watched them all nod immediately. I glanced down the hallways again, "I don't know. I shouldn't even be speaking to you guys right now while I'm healing."

"Healing?" Alex asked and I nodded.

"Calling upon ghosts is more of an inner energy type of thing," I sighed, "So when I called upon you guys- three ghosts- it took a toll on me."

Reggie then spoke up, "So why shouldn't you be speaking to us?"

"For me to feel better, I can't be in contact with the spiritual world. You guys, included." I watched them all nod and make sounds of realization, causing me to slowly nod, "Yeah, so I have to go. When I make up my mind to help you guys, I'll let you know."

"Okay, just don't summon us," Luke suggested, but more with an attitude, "Call us like a normal person."

I rolled my eyes and went up to Luke, snatching back my pen, "Why don't you just stalk me in my class again if you want your answer?" They all opened their mouths to say something, but I turned my back to them and went back into class. I lowered my head going back to my seat, feeling like I could sleep right then and there when I finally sat down. I rested my head in my hands and groaned to myself. Maybe contacting them was a bad idea like my mother said. Why must mothers always be right?