chapter six

chapter six:: he who must not be named

EVAN huffed out dramatically as he rubbing his temple, "I'm definitely failing this test."

"No you're not," I assured him, "You're definitely getting a better grade than me."

He laughed, placing his book down on my bed, closing it to show he was over it, "Says the one whose gpa is a 3.9."

"Hey, if you must know, I got that by cheating all four years," I joked, but sighed, "You know, they haven't told us when the next audition is."

"They'll let you know, Dawn," He told me, "Just give it some time."

"Yeah, I guess in the meantime, I'll just apply to schools around here. Go to some college with a barely passing music curriculum," I grunted, placing my head in my hands.

"Or," He paused, and I looked up to see him digging in his bag that was at the door of my bed only to pull out a flyer, "You can perform tonight at this coffee shop downtown."

I take the flyer and examine it, "Are you kidding? Hell no."

"What? Why not?" He asked, "There are going to be a bunch of managers who can sign you."

"You know only cellists make it as far as an orchestra or a music teacher, right?" I chuckled, handing back the flyer which he immediately gave back to me.

"Yeah, but orchestras can pay you up to $200,000 annually. You'd be rich by time your 30 because you're that talented," He informed me and I playfully rolled my eyes, "Plus, you can sing."

"That doesn't mean I will," I told him, "I haven't sung in a long time, Evan, unless you count in the shower."

I prefer people to see me as a cellist than a singer because I'm not one to sing all my career. And the only reason I would sing was because my grandmother would teach me and have me write my own songs before she passed away. Now I just write sheet music for me to play on my cello.

"Yeah, but you're good- great even, Dawn!" He exclaimed and I laughed lightly.

"What is with you?"

He then cleared his throat, "Nothing, I just," He paused, meeting my quizzical expression, before looking away, "I may have signed you up already."

"Are you joking right now?" I asked him, disbelief in my voice as he began to fumble with his fingers.

"No," He mumbled, standing up from my bed to go to my mirror, "I went in there to get coffee this morning and I saw the sign up sheet, so I put your name."

I huffed out, "Evan-"

"Come on, Dawn, please go," He pleaded, glancing back at me, "It's going to be great if you get signed by someone there. You can finally sing in front of people-"

"No, definitely not," I told him, flipping through my textbook that sat in front of me, "I don't sing in front of crowds, Evan, you know that."

"I know, but this can be your chance," Evan suggested, "You used to tell me all the time how you would want to sing in public, even when you were with Hayes-"

My head shot up and meet his eyes, that held surprise by him mentioning my ex's name. I shook my head, "I don't want to talk about this, can we just drop it?"

"You know what?" He then came towards me to snatch the book from me, "You are going to that damn coffee shop and you are going to stop acting like Hayes' name is Lord Voldemort."

"Don't ever compare him to someone in Harry Potter," I point a finger at him, "He's more like the bubonic plague."

He rolled his eyes, but sat down on my bed again to look at me, sighing deeply, "Look, I know it's not the easiest thing to talk about, but it's been over a year, Dawn."

"I know that," I huffed out, pushing my hair behind my ears, "But I'm just getting able to get over him completely."

"But you can't even say his name."

"I cope in my own way, Evan," I then stand up from my bed, "I always cope differently from others."

"Yeah, I knew that when you chose to bake over four dozen cupcakes after you guys broke up before eating two dozens by yourself," He grumbled and I gasped at him.

"I was just hungry," I excused and he laughed lightly. I laughed too, but go over to my bed to grab the flyer, looking at it again.

"You need to step out of your comfort zone, Dawn," He insisted, before throwing his hands up, "For Christ sake, you're a teenage girl who see and communicate with the dead! Live a little and just sing! What can you lose by doing that?"

I smiled at his words, looking up from the flyer to meet his eyes, "You're not going to leave me alone about this, huh?"

"Nope," He shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest, "Unless you want me to give you my life longing silent treatment."

I playfully rolled my eyes, "Yeah, I wouldn't want that." I then put down the flyer and go to my closet to grab my coat before I turn to him. I watched him raise a brow at me before I huffed out, "God, hurry up and put your shoes on before I change my mind."

He clapped happily and tossed on his shoes before shoving his stuff in book bag at a fast pace. He then put his bag on his shoulder and held out his keys, "This is why we deserve each other."

I scoffed, before leaving my room with him behind me, "No, this is why I keep your name in my phone under 'Pain in my Ass'."

(a/n:: sorry it's short, but
this just reminds me
of the days where I would
write my elite series with no
problem because I enjoyed it
so much. I literally just
published three chapters within
24 hours, so can I get a "yay, me!")