Chapter 12

During the festivities to celebrate Elizabeth and the French royal family's safe arrival, Elizabeth danced amongst the courtiers, unaware that her father has called upon the Pope but the Pope has sent his representative. From the upstairs view, Cardinal Campeggio was watching the young princess with Thomas Moore. He said to the man, "Sir Moore, tell me. Who is that young girl dressed in red and gold, dancing with the Prince of France?" Thomas smiled proudly as he watched his goddaughter and replied, "That would be the Princess Elizabeth 1st of Wales, eldest twin daughter of His Majesty and Her Majesty, King Henry and Queen Catherine. As of late, she has held the title of the heiress to the throne. She also happens to be my goddaughter and prized pupil." Campeggio nodded and said, "What are her opinions of her father's Great Matter?" Thomas replied, "Well, like her sister, she has a dislike for her father's mistress and wishes that he would return to her mother." Campeggio replied, "And has she expressed these opinions?" Thomas said, "No, Your Eminence. She only wishes for her father's happiness and to be in his good graces. The poor girl has been through enough already. With her departure for France two years ago then to be captured by her cousin, the Holy Roman Emperor, and now her father's Great Matter, Elizabeth has decided to keep to herself." Campeggio nodded in agreement with the man and turned back to the girl in question.

Elizabeth danced with James, giggling and smiling. Soon, she found herself dancing with Anne's brother. George bowed his head to the princess and said to her, "Your Highness." Elizabeth replied, "Lord Boleyn." George said, "Might it be possible that I suggest to consider Anne's previous propositions?" Elizabeth replied, "I am afraid that cannot be discussed as of late, Lord Boleyn." Then, Elizabeth was dancing with James once more. After the dance, the two young royals exited the court, causing the courtiers to curtsy and to bow. James led his friend onto a balcony where they watched the fireworks. He said to her, "I have received a letter from my father. He has escaped from the Emperor and plans to take his claim back on the throne. He wishes to be allies with your father again." Even after breaking the treaty between the two young royals' father, they managed the arranged marriage intact. Elizabeth replied, "You should tell my father that, not myself. I don't carry out those sort of things, James, not yet." James said, "I'm afraid I can't. My mother is already making the arrangements with your mother to go to France to help my father get his power as King of France back." Elizabeth replied, gasping, "So soon?" James nodded and said, "I'm afraid so, Eli. Which is why I need to tell you this.........I have come to realize that I have feelings for you. Will you allow me to court you?" Elizabeth smiled and replied, nodding, "Yes. Yes!" James grinned and placed his hands on his lover's waist, spinning her around. However, the moment didn't go unnoticed by Anne who smiled at the fond moment.