Chapter 25

Soon after the celebrations, things began to change at the English court. Thomas has permanently left court to get away from the corruption. James and Elizabeth took their leave for France so that Elizabeth could be with James' family. Upon their departure, Henry had made an act of succession where his children with Anne would take the throne, after Elizabeth if she were to die childless. An oath was sanctioned and carried out by Thomas Cranmer where people had to pledge their loyalty to Anne and her daughter. Luckily, the people were hesitant at first as they were loyal to the daughters of Catherine of Aragon and wouldn't take the oath unless it was by their orders. Of course, Elizabeth and James weren't forced to take it, seeing that they would be King and Queen of both England and France. In France, Elizabeth was with Charlotte in the gardens as they laughed and enjoyed each other's company when a servant girl came running towards the two princesses with a letter in her hands. Charlotte said, "I cannot believe that my brother did that." Elizabeth replied, "Well, he did. The Duke of Norfolk was getting too nosy for our liking. So, James just let him have it." The servant girl curtsied to the two princesses. Elizabeth turned to the girl and noticed the letter. The servant girl said, handing the letter to Elizabeth, "For you, Your Highness." Elizabeth stared at the girl in confusion as she took the letter. Charlotte watched her beloved sister-in-law with concern as Elizabeth read the letter.

My beloved goddaughter,

If you had received this letter, it may be too late. Bishop Fisher, a bishop who took your mother's side during the Great Matter, and I have been arrested for not taking the oath. Your father has already sentenced Bishop Fisher to death and he will be executed in a week's time. I will soon follow him and join him and your mother in God's grace. I beg of you, do not mourn my death. It will give me great sadness if I watch you go through another heartbreak. You have made me so proud and I am deeply honored to be a part of your life. You have excelled many challenges with grace and strength. It will please me if you continue it that way. The only wish I have is that you will look after my family for me. Let them know how much I loved them and how I love them still. I love you as if you were my own daughter, my beloved goddaughter.

Your Beloved Godfather,
Sir Thomas Moore, Lord Chancellor of England.

Elizabeth let out a mournful sob, clutching her heart. Charlotte immediately went to her sister-in-law and wrapped her arms around her. Elizabeth sobbed in Charlotte's embrace, saddened by the letter. Charlotte felt awful for her sister-in-law. Not only did she loose her mother and a close friend to Anne Boleyn, she lost her godfather. This death would cause a drift in Elizabeth to where she couldn't trust anyone who has any contact with Anne or will be the next Queen of England. However, Elizabeth had no idea that her father had his eyes set on another woman who just might take Anne's place. Anne was loosing her hold on Henry after meddling in his political world during a search of a suitor for their daughter, little Elizabeth. It wouldn't be long before Anne shared the same fate as Catherine.