Chapter Twenty-One: A New Years Kiss

<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>

Anna's heart felt as if it was crumbling. Piece by piece, she was falling apart. And it was all because of him. He'd said he would never hurt her, but he had.

He hurt me worse than Mason did.

Her head ached from the crying she'd done the night before. She could barely bring herself to get out of bed and go be with her family. But she had to. She put makeup on to cover up the dark circles, and she drank two cups of coffee to make herself wake up.

He kissed me. That's what I've always wanted, right? I wanted him to want me. But not like that. Not when he was drunk. Not when he probably doesn't remember what he did. I want him, I still do. But I want him to know what he's doing. I want him to remember the next day. I want him to cherish the moment forever. I didn't want our first kiss to be like that.

I really don't think he wanted it at all.

<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•>•<•

Hunters Christmas Day had started out horribly. He had a splitting headache, and the first thing he'd done was throw up. He couldn't even keep his coffee down.

How sad is that?

He had no idea what had happened the night before, or how he'd gotten home. All he knew was that he had been drunk. Very, very drunk.

I hope I didn't do anything stupid. I hope Anna got home ok.

He made his way to his parents, where they opened presents and then headed to the airport to fly down to Louisiana. The moment he left Nashville, he missed her.

--------

Text Message From: Anna:

Anna: how was your Christmas?

Hunter: pretty good. I'm about to leave to come home for New Year's Eve. The guys and I usually have a party.

Anna: oh, that's cool.

Hunter: how was your Christmas?

Anna: it was alright. The food was good. I got some clothes.

Hunter: were your cousins annoying?

Anna: I've never felt so degraded since Mason tried to rape me.

Hunter: where do they live? I can go like, murder them or something.

Anna: you say that so casually.

Hunter: well I've been planning Masons death for a while now.

Anna: make sure you let me help when you do it.

Hunter: sure thing babe.

Anna: babe?

Hunter: yeah, like the piglet.

Anna: oh so I'm a piglet now?

Hunter: well no. Piglets are chubby, and you don't fit that description. Also you don't snort. Unless you're laughing really hard.

Anna: you're an idiot.

Hunter: I get that a lot.

Anna: yeah, I'm sure you do.

Hunter: anyway, now that I've thoroughly hurt your feelings, let's change the subject. What did your cousins do/say?

Anna: they found creative redhead nicknames and jokes. My least favorite of all of them, Liam, googled redhead nicknames. I almost stabbed him with my butter knife.