- two -

It was winter, the season in which the residents of Authien struggled the most. Early spring and Autumn would involve the occasional blizzard, yet mostly just heavy or light snow, but winter was entirely blizzards. Most resolved to staying indoors in such times. The markets would close, elves would hide themselves away in their homes.

All elves in Arda were connected to the elements.

Most elves in Middle Earth were connected to the element of earth and wind, and yet the elves of Authien were connected to water and fire. Two opposing forces. They would rarely encounter fire, except in torches and bonfires in the summer, but each moment with fire was treasured, for they were so rare.

That is why instead of becoming disheartened at the snow in the winter, they would rejoice, and take the time to spend basking in the comforts of their families. It was tradition in Authien for on the last day of winter, a banquet to be held in the palace ballroom for the whole kingdom, where they might all enjoy one another's company. Such as the feast of starlight was important to elves of the woodland realm, the feast of the snow was one of the most treasured days for Authien elves.

Authien rarely worried about orc attacks in the winter, for the beasts would surely freeze before reaching the walls of the kingdom, and thus they only had minimal security on the evening of the feast of the snow, for everyone deserved the opportunity to join in. It was their first mistake.

Sauron knew that it would be fruitless to attack Authien midwinter, despite the advantage they would gain from the snow, and he also knew that King Galadel was aware of this. Authien was a prosperous kingdom. The elves were typically more powerful than their woodland kin for their connection to different elements of nature. He needed them on his side, and in order to do that, he would have to have ransom. What better ransom than the kings family?

‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊

Nauriùl sat in front of her dresser in her bedroom, the bedsheets a pale light blue, the windows large and glass stained, the fire crackled in the hearth, spitting out sparks, books lined one of the walls, the shelves reaching all the way to the ceiling, from which hung a decadent chandelier. Her bathroom was marble and once again held large stained glass windows, the bubbly bath set into the floor being drained.

Her pitch black ebony locks cascaded in gentle curls down her back, where her private maid - and best friend - Lorena - delicately wove jewels of pure starlight into the braids. Her dress was long, an ice blue, mirroring her eyes. It tightened at her waist before falling and pooling around her feet. It was completely off the shoulders, resting on her collarbones, and embroidered with snowflakes around the hems. The sleeves split at the elbow, trailing to the floor in the form of a train behind her. Lorena carefully placed her circlet upon her head, silver and delicate, encrusted with white gems of Lasgalen.

Nauriùl's eyes were an ice blue, so pale they were almost silver. They complemented her pale skin and stood out against her ebony locks. The black lashes were long and thick, and the eye shape was feline. Her cheekbones were pronounced, her lips thick and pouty, the top of them resting on a straight line, her nose was delicate and dainty, a contrast to her pronounced and rigid cheekbones, and her eyebrows were elegant and as dark as her hair.

She stood gracefully from her chair when Lorena stepped away, her beauty renowned and almost ethereal.

"You look amazing Naur." Lorena breathed.

Nauriùl grinned and chuckled softly at her friends expression. Lorena had been her best friend for as long as she could remember, and like most elves of Authien, Lorena's features were pale and delicate, her hair a light golden and eyes a friendly brown. Her friend wore a pale green dress, it's neckline modest but the fit flattering, and her hair was pinned in a braided crown.

"Come on 'Rena. We have a grand entrance to make." She winked at the blonde elleth who chuckled, shaking her head softly. They linked their arms and stepped outside, not even paying attention to the route, trusting their memory and not even noting the lack of guards in the hallways. As they reached the public area of the palace, the noise from the hall slowly got louder and louder, until they met the rest of the royal family outside of the doors leading into the ballroom made for the royal family. Lorena curtsied to them before quickly continuing through the main entrance.

"You look beautiful mother." Nauriùl breathed. Her mother had light brown hair, dead straight and shining. Her crown was silver, encrusted with jewels, and the rest of her jewellery corresponding with it. Her dress was deep red, creating a powerful aura, yet her smiling visage and light green eyes betrayed that of a mother.

"As do you my little Ember."

Her father wore robes matching the colour of his wife's dress, and his crown matched also. His hair was jet black, just like Nauriùl's, and his eyes the same ice blue.

"I do believe we will have to beat away more ellons than normal with sticks tonight brothers." Harian spoke casually, but she knew he was not joking. Once, a rather flirtatious ellon would not leave her alone, and Harian quite literally threw a branch at him. The ellon got the message.

Harian had their mother's hair and fathers eyes, and he wore robes of pale grey.

The crown Prince and eldest of the five siblings, Eladior, like Nauriùl had his fathers hair and eyes, but his mother's nose and mouth. He truly looked the part of future king in his ice blue robes.

Turgon had their mother's eyes and fathers hair, and wore deep green robes.

Fornion had their mother's hair and eyes, And wore robes of a deep grey.

They all wore matching circlets, apart from Eladior's which was more extravagant.

Turgon cracked his knuckles, while Fornion looked towards his sister with a combination of amusement and pity, while Eladior just grinned.

"You look beautiful Naur."

"Absolutely stunning"

"Thank you Eladior and Fornion. You now know why you are my favourite brothers!"  She glided effortlessly up to them, kissing her parents cheeks and taking her eldest brothers arm.

Turgon and Harian clutched their chests in mock hurt, even wiping away fake tears. Nauriùl rolled her eyes, turning around so that they were waiting in a line.

The doors were opened by two guards, and thus began an evening of laughter and happiness, and yet also of great horror.