XII - Did you Kill A Man? Sixty Points To Gryffindor!

They hadn't noticed her yet, so she kept silent for the moment.

"Harry Potter..." Voldemort whispered.

Harry stood there completely frozen.

"See what I have become?" the face said. "Mere shadow and vapor... I have form only when I can share another's body... but there have always been those willing to let me into their hearts and minds... Unicorn blood has strengthened me, these past weeks... you saw faithful Quirrell drinking it for me in the forest... and once I have the Elixir of Life, I will be able to create a body of my own... Now... why don't you give me that Stone in your pocket?"

Persephone's eyes widened. How had Harry managed to get the Stone before Quirrell?

Harry stumbled backward.

"Don't be a fool," snarled the face. "Better save your own life and join me... or you'll meet the same end as your parents... They died begging me for mercy..."

"LIAR!" Harry shouted suddenly.

Quirrell was walking backward at him, so that Voldemort could still see him. The evil face was now smiling.

"How touching..." it hissed. "I always value bravery... Yes, boy, your parents were brave... I killed your father first, and he put up a courageous fight... but your mother needn't have died... she was trying to protect you... Now give me the Stone, unless you want her to have died in vain."

"NEVER!"

Harry sprang toward the flame door, but Voldemort screamed "SEIZE HIM!"

The next second, Quirrell's hand closed on Harry's wrist. Harry yelled in pain, but also Quirrell screamed, releasing him and looking at his fingers.

Persephone had enough of it.

"Don't you even think bout it!" she shouted as she used her telekinesis to throw Quirrell away from her friend. She ran towards Harry, kneeling beside him.

"Harry!" she said, taking his face in her hands. "Are you ok, Harry?"

"Se-Sephie... How—?"

"Don't worry about that now, we have to go. Come on!" She grabbed his arm to help him get up, but Quirrell/Voldemort was again on his foot.

"Who are you, girl?" Voldemort said, "You must be a powerful witch if you can use wandless magic... as well as non-verbal spells. A first year casting the Banishing Spell? And back in the Forbidden Forest, it was you... it was a Shield Charm, wasn't it? Indeed, very impressive—"

"Oh please, stop being such a bootlicker! I won't join you, so cut the act, Quirrellmort!" Persephone interrupted him.

So he thought that she had used wandless magic? Good.

Voldemort laughed. "Another brave one— Oh... Harry Potter, you care about her, don't you?" he said looking at them. Persephone lowered her eyes and saw that Harry had been clutching her hand the entire time.

"This makes it all easier." Voldemort pointed Quirrell's wand at Persephone and before she could do anything, he said "Imperio!"

Suddenly Persephone felt so calm... as if all her responsibilities and anxieties had faded away. What if Voldemort stole the Sorcerer's Stone? It was fine... Everything was fine...

Then she heard a voice saying "Come to me, child". Somebody was calling her. She had to go. But why should she? She didn't want to move. She wanted to stay there with Harry. Harry... Harry was in danger... Harry needed her— "Come to me, Persephone Halliwell!"

She snapped out of her trance. Her eyes refocused on the scene in front of her. Voldemort's ugly face was contorted into a snarl. "Give it a rest, old man, that's not gonna happen" she said boldly.