CHAPTER ONE.

Happy reading lovelies!!!

Life is a race, some reach their destination, others don't even make it halfway, some choose to quit, others are forced out of the race by circumstances and some don't even start the race.
Lucky are those who reach the finishing line.

***
I flung my eyes open to find the sexiest lips on my forehead. The lips of my beautiful and hard-working fiancee, Ariana. The only woman I will ever love.

"Good morning, babe. Did both of you sleep well? " I asked with a smile as I kissed her tummy. Just yesterday we found out we are pregnant. I'm gonna be a father.

I'm gonna have a little human looking up to me and I will make sure my child will love us and respect us. I'm so excited, even words can't explain how happy I am.

My father was a failure as a father and I promised him that I'm gonna do better than him and I'm planning to. He was always drunk and blamed me for my mother's death. She died while giving birth to me.

My father detested me and never gave a hoot about me. The only reason he kept me with him for all those years, was because momma told him to take care of me. I tried my best to get through to my father and explain to him that it was never my fault that momma died but he never cared.

I watched him throw away his life in casinos and gambling. He spent half of his life drunk so it was no surprise when he was diagnosed with cancer, we found out too late. He refused any treatment because he claimed it was his time to be United with his only love.

His last words to me were, "your only mistake was to be born." After his death, I became like him, a drunkard who didn't care about anything. Ariana saved me from drowning in alcohol and showed me a new world. Now, Nothing will stop me from being a good father to my baby.

"We slept just fine, babe," Ari replied. "Come out fast and meet your very handsome father, Alex. I'm sure you will love his corny jokes and be sure to laugh at his dry jokes. "Ari said as she patted her tummy and laughed so hard.

Her laugh always made me smile. I never thought I could ever be a one-woman man but when I met her she changed everything. I left all my habits and decided to just love her and dedicate my life to making her life the best.

We are only two weeks from tying the knot.

" I think I'm just gonna go for my morning run now. "I said as I came out of the bed.
" Just be quick, remember we have to meet with the caterers today. "
"Okay, I will just be quick." I gave her a quick kiss and went into the bathroom.

I changed into some shorts. I took my phone plugged in my earphones and put them on. I scrolled through my playlist and played my best motivational speaker.

Nothing g is as fulfilling as getting advice as you run and refresh your mind. I slipped my phone into my short pockets.

"Love you, baby," I said as I jogged out of the room. The only time where I'm relaxed and totally in my zone is in the morning.

Few people came for the morning run today, unlike the other days. When I reached the street where I usually take a five-minute rest to take some water, there were no people around like usual.

It was a little creepy but I didn't pay much attention to it. As I was drinking water, I heard some voices coming behind a dumpster. I was contemplating whether to check out. But then again I was never the easily scared type.

Something my father taught me was no man should cry or be scared. I always wanted to tell him that everybody should be free to express their feelings but I never got the chance. He left the world too soon. Even though he was the worst father, I still loved him and his death hit me so badly, He was the only person who I could call my own.

I moved towards the dumpster and I found a middle-aged man sitting on the ground having what looked like leftover pizza. I figured he took the pizza from the dumpster.

He looked very weird, he had grease all over his hands and he had weird clothes on. He had shoulder-length blonde hair which was so messy. He had grey_blue eyes, his eyes were so intriguing.

"Excuse me, mister, can I help you with anything? " I asked.
The man looked at me very intensively and I was kinda intimidated by his stare. I stepped a step back when he stood up and started coming towards me.

"Do you need my help with anything, sir? " I asked.
"You can't help me with anything even if you wanted. "
Now this man was scaring me, "what do you mean by that. "

"You were given the gift of life, to use it and to do good with it, change a life, and do something to change the world but you wasted yours. Now the one who gave you your life is about to take it."The odd man said and he sends shivers down my spine.

I just looked at him astonished.
"I'm gonna ask this the very last time, do you need any help or should I just go? "

"I told you, you can't help me because I'm here to take something from you. YOUR LIFE."

"Mister, you should visit a doctor because it seems like you have a mental disorder. " I uttered bristling.

"Alexander Johnson, when the clock hits 12 you will no longer be in this world. Your last breath will be at 23.59. You will die most unexpectedly. I wouldn't tell you how you will die because you will do everything to escape death. "

"How do you know my name? " I quizzed astonished.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. Life should not be counted in years but breathes and yours are over. "

I placed my hands on my face, I just wanted to calm down. This man in front of me can't be right. I just started living my life and enjoy my life right now. I tried to convince myself that his knowing my name was just a coincidence. Was it??

I opened my eyes to find the man was not there. Maybe I was just hallucinating, it's no big deal, maybe he is a mentally challenged person.

I tried my best to push that thought to the back of my mind but I couldn't. I never feared death before because I had nothing to live for.

How could life be so unfair, the time when I have the will to live when I found my happiness. When I'm about to become a father, I get such news.

I looked at my wristwatch it was 9 in the morning. I couldn't help but think what that man said was true because if that was the case, it would mean I only had about 15 hours to live.

Why me?? I increased my speed. What would happen to Ariana and our baby??

Please vote, comment, and share.

Cover by jellyphine