chapter 3: Suibian and bitchen

"Aiyo my Grandchild, go and pour some tea for the guest." Mr.Wang said to Yibo who stood there like a statue. Wang Yibo went to the kitchen as told. Zhan's eyes followed his back.

"Young people these days! Always likes to pretend to be cool and calm. When I was at his age , I could eat 5 bowls of rice. Look at him, not energetic enough! It was okay in the past , he would run around everywhere but these days, he is just like a block. I tried my whole life to get him into calligraphy and meditation, but no! Do you know what he used to say?"

Old man, Are you sure you're talking about Yibo? The PE teacher of a high school?

Zhan was curious, so he asked , "what did he say?"

"He said these are the things that ancient people like us do! Sigh* But who knew that this guy practiced behind my back! His calligraphy even suppressed mine and sits to meditate for hours like a statue."

Zhan laughed, " Actually he's not that bad. He is very much understanding and dedicated to his job ."

"You guys know each other? That's great , that's great. You're so much excellent, hang out with him a little bit. He might learn something from you. I've heard that old man praise you a lot."

Xiao zhan smiled and didn't reply. Wang yibo came back with a tray containing three cups and a tea pot. Zhan stared at them dumbstruck. These cups and pots all of them are ancient style.
Even the way, Yibo poured tea , it seemed pretty ancient and elegant. It's as if he had done this a lot of times.

Words are indeed true , Don't judge a book by it's cover.

When the glass was pushed to his side, Zhan picket it up after Mr.wang. He blew on it and took a sip soundlessly. Yibo parted his lips to say something but stopped seeing Zhan drinking politely.

After they had tea, it was past 8 in the evening. Mr.wang retired back to his room after telling Yibo to wrap up the vase carefully for Zhan to take.

Yibo crouched down to open the carton and put the vase in. Zhan lost his patience. He looked around the artifacts one by one until he reached the twin swords.

One is white in colour, silver square pattern on it's scabbard and grayish blue thread swaying at one side. The other one is black, looked like the scabbard is made of wood and this one had red string attached. A sudden realisation hit Zhan.

They look so much like suibian and bitchen..

Looking at Yibo's appearance, no one can tell he also watches dramas. Even such a enthusiastic fan.

"What are you looking at?" A voice sounded from behind.

"These swords looks great. Are they your collection?"

Yibo stood beside Zhan and looked at the swords with a fond expression. "Mn."

"Um...if you don't mind , can you show them to me?"

Yibo glanced at Zhan and then swiftly took the swords off. Zhan looked at the stretched hand which held Suibian. He took the sword from Yibo, wondering if they're just props or real blades.

They are a little bit heavy but easy to hold. Zhan pulled out the sword with a swift move , a shiny metal glared at him. Zhan's eyes widened, they're real swords! Also, the name on the blade, suibian.

He didn't realise that , the whole time someone was starring at him, observing his expression. Yibo unsheathed bitchen which let out a sound because of the friction. Zhan starred as Yibo's fingers gently brushed the edge of the sword, his movements were smooth as if he did this thousands of time in the past.

Zhan had the illusion that the one sitting here isn't Yibo but Lan wangji.

He quickly snapped back to reality. Let's not mix up the reality and fiction world. With that he comforted himself.

"Touch it." Yibo offered bitchen to Zhan who followed Yibo's movements. Zhan had no idea why he's this much exited to touch a sword. He felt as if his blood was boiling inside and he had put all his effort to make his fingers steady otherwise he's afraid that they'd tremble.

Zhan couldn't help but ask Yibo, "Did you watch 'The untamed' too? Suibian and bitchen...to get them you must have put a lot of effort. "

When Zhan said names of the sword, Yibo's lips curved up a little unnoticed by zhan.

Yibo looked a bit confused as he asked , "The untamed?"

Zhan blushed. See , his cover is blown just like this.

"It's a weekly drama...a little bit popular."

Yibo put the sword inside the scabbard as he responded, "Tell me about it."

Zhan screamed inside and scolded himself for asking the previous question. That's right, It might not be Yibo who watched the drama , someone could have gifted those pair of swords!

Zhan said in a small voice , obviously embarrassed, "Er...it's just a normal drama. The main characters Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji had deep friendship..... That's it haha."

Yibo raised an eyebrow as he looked at Zhan's nervous expression. He suppressed his smile as he asked, "is that so?"

"Ah yeah..it's getting late. I should be going now." Zhan said as he bent down , intending to lift the box containing the vase.

But the box was taken away by another hand. To be honest , this damn vase is heavy! Zhan hand to put some efforts to lift it up but Yibo didn't even blink an eye while taking the box away. They are both man, why is there such difference in strength? Zhan sighed internally.

"It's dangerous outside. I'll see you out."

Zhan followed Yibo out of the building. "Then, what about you? Won't it be dangerous when you return?"

"No."

Zhan swallowed back his words. With Yibo's strength....it really won't be easy for others to cause harm..
"You have to travel this long to get to school?"

"Mn." Yibo replied shortly.

"Do you go to school every day?"

"Mn." After saying this, Yibo seemed to think of something and then added, "everyday".

Was he trying to sound warm or something else? Besides himself, no one knows, not even the author.

"Then, it's really hard for you, isn't it? My place is nearer to the school. My neighbour just happened to move away few days ago. The rent is okay, You can consider moving there."

"Mn. I'll think about it." Thankfully Zhan was walking ahead and didn't turn back to meet Yibo's affectionate gaze. Those deep eyes starred at Zhan's back, wandering if it's owner can move into this person's heart or not.

Zhan and Yibo stood quietly until a taxi came and with the help of Yibo , Zhan finally sat with the vase. "Alright. Go back now. Thank you."

Zhan said goodbye regretfully and left. However , Yibo stood there in silence while looking at the distance where the car in which Zhan was in , faded away. Then he lifted his right hand and moved the index finger to sit on his lips.

This is where accidentally Zhan's touch fell. Yibo's lips formed a slight curve.

Yibo lowered his eyes and thought back to the time he came to this strange world.

*Republished and re-written*