chapter four

chapter four:: parties on the weekend are for losers

I couldn't help but furrow my brows as I looked down a flyer in my hand, "Julie and her Hologram Band?" It was for a dance tonight that the sophomores were having and at first I didn't get it until I remembered the name Julie and Reggie's accidentally blurting to me about their little performance the other day.

"I hope you're not thinking about going?" Evan asked me, jokingly.

"Any better ideas?" I retorted and he nodded, taking the paper out of my hand.

"There's a party going on tonight at Austin's college," He told me and I gave him a look when he pouted, "It'll be fun."

I sighed, "My mom isn't going to let me go, Evan. It's a school night."

He then wrapped his arm over my shoulder and pulled me to him, "This is why you don't tell her," He advised, "Just say your spending the night at my house and we're going to school together tomorrow morning."

I laughed at him, "I don't know, Evan."

"Come on, please. I don't want to go alone, I think all his friends will be there," He begged, keeping his pout, "Please, Dawn."

"Fine, I'll lie to my mom, but if she tells me no still, then that's it," I told him and he nodded, hurriedly pulling me in a hug.

"I'll pick you up around 7 at your house, dress cute, okay?" He told me and I pulled away to raise a brow at him.

"Why?"

"Because I may or may not have told Austin to find a guy for you," He told me and my eyes went wide before slapping his arm, "Ow, Dawn."

"I am not interested in dating one of his friends, Evan!" I sternly told him, annoyed by him already, "His friends could be creeps or like in their mid-twenties wanting a teenager."

"All his friends are 19, Dawn, don't worry," He assured me, but I shook my head, "You need to get back into the dating game anyways."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do," He argued, "I haven't seen you talk to another guy besides myself and-"

I stopped him by pointing a finger at him, "Don't. Don't you say it."

"Are we ever going to talk about him?" Evan asked and I shook my head again, walking outside the school with him following beside me, "Why not, Dawn?"

"I don't even talk to my parents about it, or let myself think it," I huffed out, "I don't want to talk about it- about him."

"But, Dawn-"

"Evan, I swear, I will stay home tonight," I looked over at him and he sighed before reluctantly nodding. I gave a small smile, "Thank you." He only hummed before we got to his car and go inside before he drove me home. I turned on his radio since I knew this car ride would be silent, but once I did, I couldn't stop my annoying thoughts from flooding in. I wanted them to stop.

"Okay, I'll call you in a few so you can come out," Evan told me and I laughed.

"I haven't even asked her yet, Evan," I reminded him as I stepped out of the car, "But I'll see you later." I closed his door and headed into my house, dropping my bag once I got inside, "Mama!"

"Kitchen!" She yelled back and I headed to the kitchen to see her making herself some tea. She smiled up at me, "Want some, it's new. It's meant to stabilize your inner self."

I chuckled at her explanation, shaking my head, "Maybe another time, probably after I see dad next time." She nodded at my answer, watching me sit on a stool that was across from her, "So, I was wondering if I can stay at Evan's place tonight."

"Why?" She asked me, "It's a school night."

"I know, it's just," I paused, fumbling with my fingers, "Evan's parents are arguing a lot again, so Evan thinks if I spend the night, it won't be as bad."

She kept her eyes on her tea as she put honey, but let out a sigh, "Hm, I told Chelsea that they should seek counseling and when she asked if I could be their counselor, I told her I couldn't because we're friends."

I nodded, listening to her talk about Evan's parents. They do argue, and I mean to the point where Evan's dad is gone for days with no explanation. But Evan told me the only reason they argue so badly is because his mother, Chelsea, slept with her coworker while his dad, Grant, was away on business. Though, she only did it because Grant was cheating first with one of his clients. His family happens to loves the rivalry, especially since his mother is an actress and his dad is a manager.

"So," I spoke up again, "Can I go?"

"Yeah, you can go. But call me tonight and before you go to school, okay?" She asked and I nodded, hopping out of my seat, "And straight home tomorrow, your grandmother wants to visit."

Her voice was then coated with a dull tone and I laughed before going over to her to kiss her cheek, "Will do, mama. Thank you!" I then rushed to my room and begin to pack clothes for my stay, which included a lot of extra clothes in case of emergency. I changed into pair of jeans and a cute top before Evan called me. I told him I could go before I hurried downstairs with my bag, yelling goodbye to my mom before I left.

Once Evan saw me, he clapped his hands, "Hurry, get in!"

I smiled once I got in the car and he drove off. I tossed my bag in the backseats before rolling down the window and turning to him, "Are you ready to have the most fun that we can on a school night?"

Neither of us were the type to go to parties, only going when we saw fit, especially on a weekday. He then glanced over at me and smirked, evidently showing his excitement, "You know it."

(a/n:: this was really a filler
I just wanted to do a chapter
outside of her medium/ghost
lifestyle.

But question::

Is this too fast paced? I don't
really do this kind of thing, so
please let me know. Of course,
Luke and Dawn aren't going to
date in like the next chapter or
something, but I just felt like them
meeting happened to fast...
thoughts?