T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Emberstorm was one of the many warriors being treated by an overwhelmed Shrikeflight. He zipped back and forth, caring for the most severe first.

MountainClan was getting ready to return to their old camp. The queens stood by the elders, pulling their kits close. Mothsnow and Sweetflower had had their kits at last. Mothsnow was a mother to Birchkit, Dovekit, and Littlekit. Sweetflower had had a single daughter: Drizzlekit. Drizzlekit had been born with a single eye and a cleft nose. If anything, it just made her even more adorable.

Sweetflower's kits were all apprentices, Goosepaw being Pebblecloud's apprentice. They stood by the older apprentices, Stonepaw and Jaypaw. Cedarleap had retired, as well.

All cats had been deemed fit for the journey by the time twilight had fallen upon the mountainside. The dwindling light struggled to push its way through the pine trees, making pale shadows swallow the mass of walking cats.

Emberstorm padded alongside Shrouding Cloud.

"Emberstorm, I've made a decision," the sleek black she-cat murmured.

"And what's that?" Emberstorm inquired. Her stomach seemed to hollow. The warrior had a bad feeling washing over her.

"Once MountainClan has been set up and back on its feet, I'm going to go back to the Realm."

"I always thought you would," Emberstorm croaked, pain swamping her mind. She began to struggle with breathing. Faint wheezing noises peppered the air around her. I'm not good enough for her to stay. She doesn't love me enough.

Shrouding Cloud sighed. "It's not because of you. My family is there, and my role of being a stealth-step is very important to me." She whisked her tail, eyes closing.

The pair walked in silence. Eventually, the camp came into view. The kits and younger apprentices ran through the entrance happily, squealing and cheering. Shrikeflight and the elders and queens went through next before Brookstar and the higher-ups followed with their warriors trailing behind.

Emberstorm eventually slipped inside, pushing past Shrouding Cloud. She wasn't grieving over the future loss of her friend. That emotion had been shut down.

The evening flew by. Apprentices and able-bodied warriors gathered what little nesting materials could be found and hunted. As usual, prey was scarce.

Emberstorm found herself wandering from camp before climbing atop an icy boulder to watch the dying rays of sun. It was almost completely dark.

Then, she heard a voice. "Emberstorm?"

The thick-furred black warrior snapped her neck around, and her eyes seemed to bulge from their sockets. It was a small brown and white tabby she-cat. It was her niece, Asterpaw.

"Asterpaw! What are you doing here? You need to go home! Slatefeather and your siblings are probably flailing around camp and caterwauling for you!"

Asterpaw scuffed the snow with a dainty white paw. "I don't want to," she whimpered, climbing up to join Emberstorm. "I don't like sleeping during the day, and Ebonystar is corrupted. I don't want to be led by such a cat. I think that Slatefeather decided to stay because we have mentors there. Also, she hasn't really been herself." Asterpaw looked down at the rugged, icy surface beneath her. Her sea-green eyes glimmered with sadness. "She's irritable and doesn't talk to us much."

Emberstorm softened her typically stony gaze and curled her tail around the apprentice. "Let's go talk to Brookstar and see what to do with you, huh?"

Her petite niece nodded. "Thanks, Emberstorm."

The pair hopped off of the boulder and made their way to the camp. The lively activity had calmed down as cats began to traipse off to their dens for an early sleep. Brookstar was perched on the Great Pine, solemnly watching over her Clan. She almost looked lonely.