Chapter 10

Akio let out a soft hum, curled up on the couch between Mina and Sero with a small look of curiosity on his face as Sero picked out a show from Netflix. It was one he had heard of, but never watched.

Sero-san, what's avatar about? He wrote on his notepad with a small tilt of his head.

Sero blinked. "You've never watched Avatar? Dude, you're missing out! Let's start from the beginning." He said with a bit of surprise on his face, going to select the first episode.

A few hours later, Akio was completely engrossed in the show, his own air manipulation ruffling his hair slightly as he watched silently, his hands emerging from the blanket slowly when Sero paused the show at the end of the episode.

Akio huffed softly, looking at the taping hero before writing on his notepad. Sero-san, why'd you turn it off?

He smiled a little, pointing to the clock by the hallway. "It's getting late, and by the way, there's no need for the honorifics. We're friends, yeah?" He got up, stretching a little. "G'night, Akio. G'night, Mina." He said to the two remaining people in the common area before slipping into the hallway.

Akio was finally able to smile once he was left alone in the room. He looked at his icy hands. "Friends..." He said hoarsely, wrapping the blanket tighter around himself.

"Perfect, now just focus on moving the ice upwards to form the spike." Todoroki said, demonstrating with his right side. It had been roughly three days since the ice spread training.

Akio nodded, activating chill by pinching his neck as it only kicked in when his body was in distress at the moment. He watched the ice creep along the floor until it reached the wall, raising his hand, and the ice along with it to form a sharp frozen spike. He looked at it in wonder, looking back to his training partner. "Like that?" He signed, pointing at the spike.

A bit of a smile played on Todoroki's lips before his regular expression returned. "Exactly like that. You're pretty good at this."

Akio blinked. "You think so? I'm just combining rhythm and dance into my quirk usage to increase its efficiency." He admitted, a bit of his blue hair falling over his eyes.

"Oh, so that's what you're doing." He nodded in understanding. "Think you could teach me some moves?"

Akio nodded. "We could do that today. We still have time before the bell goes and us training together will be over. Then you don't have to waste more time with me." He suggested.

The fire and ice user seemed concerned by the wasting time comment, but he nodded at the blunette's suggestion.

Akio smiled a little as he cooked dinner, his shaky hands steadily dicing veggies and adding them to the pot with noodles and meat, setting a timer as he stepped to the beat of the song playing in his headphones. He felt relaxed in class A's dorm kitchen despite the danger he was in at all times these days. He was closest to home as he could be his bare feet touching down with the beat.

I'm proud of you, sweetie.

His mother's voice in his ears made him panic as he looked around the room. His mother couldn't be there. She was dead and gone.

Why would she be proud anyways? He was a failure, unable to protect her, unworthy of his father's love until the man was deathly ill, unable to even protect his classmates during a villain attack because he was blinded by emotions.

Nobody should be proud of him.

Those thoughts hurt as he looked at the soup. The timer was up. He turned off the heat and shot a text to the class group chat to tell them dinner was ready. He got a bowl for himself and curled up on the couch, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders and quietly eating the soup.

He hated this so much. He worked so hard to enter class A and now he had to work twice as hard just to re-enter. All because he couldn't accept the fact that his mother had been dead for ten years.

A small burn in Akio's eyes signified tears forming in his eyes as he looked at the blanket tiredly. He needed to sleep, but what if the orderly found him?

He couldn't risk it.

He'd sleep when his body couldn't keep going.

Akio was awoken by a tug on his sleeve. "Irō, get up. You're going to be late." The voice of the fire and ice user rang in his ears.

The blunette bolted upright, looking around. Had he fallen asleep? He must have, the light in the room was different. He smiled a little, seeing the light. He was still in the dorms.

He nodded, looking at Todoroki. "Thank you." He signed, his face returning to its normal expression. He couldn't smile directly at people without it feeling forced anymore.

He took a turn away from the rest of the class with Izuku towards the nurse's office. His hand quickly finding itself in the greenette's. The two were to see Recovery Girl this morning to get more information on their quirks.

Izuku knocked on the door, his damaged knuckles rapping against the wood before opening it cautiously, seeing just one cloud of human-shaped static reminiscent of the heroine the two were looking for.

She turned her head to the blind greenette and the ghost-like blunette with a small smile. "Oh, you two. Please, have a seat." She said, pointing to a few chairs.

Akio nodded, his fingertips phasing through the other's hand a little as he lead Izuku to the chairs before sitting in one of them.

Izuku sat down, his eyes focusing on the cloud of static he assumed to be Recovery Girl. "Do you have any new information on our quirks?" He asked with a small tilt of his head, chewing absentmindedly on a piece of his hair.

She nodded, opening a small folder. "Yes, I do. Irō, you received four quirks..." She read from the file, Akio's expression becoming more perplexed as the list continued. Two emitters, both with secondary mutations, a full mutation, and an undefined class quirk. In a way, it explained things, but in another, it confused him more.

He wanted to know how he received these quirks. Why he was chosen. Why those quirks were chosen. He wanted to know everything about this, but he was in the dark.

She then pulled out a different sheet, this one with just as much writing. "Midoriya received three quirks..." An emitter/mutation mix, and two regular emitters. She gave details on each one, as well as who would help with training them to master them.

"Irō has already gotten a hang of chill, and Midoriya, you seem to have nearly mastered the animal communication aspect of satyr. Today during the afternoon, you two will have different people helping you with training to master your other quirks." Recovery Girl explained, giving each a small pack of gummies. "You two should head to your classes now, have a good day, boys." She said, leading them out the door.

Once the door shut behind them, Akio let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding in, relief washing over him.

He didn't understand why.