Prologue

Wednesday, 10th of August, 1902 - Birmingham

"Arthur!" A woman screams into the darkness of the night. A moment later a man, freshly bathed runs into his bedroom after hearing his wife's screams.

"It's ready now, isn't it?" Arthur says, frantically. A scream of anguish erupts from her mouth, awaking her other four children. One at a time, they come stumbling through the dark.

"Mum?" The oldest, Arthur Jr, 15, asks worriedly. "Is the baby coming now?"

Their father looks back at his children. "Yes, Thomas, take Ada and John into the kitchen and put on a pot of tea. Arthur go get Mrs Gladstone, we need a midwife." As the children stumble into the kitchen, another scream erupts throughout the house.

***

Hours passed and screams still echo through the night.

"Common, Honey. Push!" Arthur urges his wife. "I can see the head!" Another scream runs through the house, the youngest, John, only 7 years old, covers his ears, attempting to block out the piercing screams coming from his mother.

There is sudden silence and a small laugh comes from the other room. "Kids..." Their father yells. "Come meet your new little sister!" Within seconds all 4 children are peaking through the doorway.

"What's her name?" Ada, 9, asks.

"Emily," Their mother looks at them. "Emily Shelby"