Chapter 3 - The Shelby Family

Monday, 19th of March, 1922 - Birmingham

"Alright, Mags," Emily yells from her room. "I'm heading to the Garrison. I'll be home late." Emily looks herself up and down in the mirror. Her three-piece suit and red tie make her green eyes stand out. She fixes a newsboy cap, the sign of the working-class, on her head, tucking her braided hair underneath of it. She grabs her gun off of her bed and places into its holster, hidden underneath her blazer jacket. Disguised as one of the working-class, she leaves her building in the direction of the Garrison Tavern. She takes her cigarette tin out of one of the blazar pockets and takes out a cigarette, lighting it. The smoke warms her up on her walk to the pub. She walks through the doors of the Garrison and notices that it is a very different scene compared to when she and Mags went the other night. The pub is filled mainly with men drinking the Monday workday blues away. She notices two boys stood outside the private room, both around the age of 14, one darker than the other. Both boys have the signature uniform of the Peaky Blinders - newsboy cap, three-piece suit, tie and a cigarette in between their lips. Behind the two boys, the silhouette of people contrasts behind the light radiating out of the frosted glass, concealing the inside of the private room.

"Whiskey," Emily says to the bartender, deepening her voice just a tad. The bartender comes back with a glass filled with her favourite caramel coloured drink. "You wouldn't be able to tell me where to find Arthur Shelby, would you?" She asks, looking for her oldest brother. The bartender looks up above her head and scans the room, his eyes pausing on the private room for a few seconds before looking back at Emily.

"No, sorry lad. Doesn't look like he is in here at the moment. If he does come in I'll let him know that you are looking for him. What's your name, I'll let him know?"

"Uh, don't worry about it," Emily says, dipping her hat to keep her face covered. She takes the drink and sips it, analysing the private room that the two young boys are standing in front of.

Over the next couple of drinks, Emily counts 3 more people enter the private room - A man and woman in their late 20's, early 30's and an older woman in her late 40's. As the three other people enter the room, one of the younger boys standing outside of the door is allowed in, leaving the darker-skinned boy, alone. Emily watches the boy, he takes out a cigarette and lights it but refuses the drinks people offer him giving Emily the idea that he is either underage or on the job. The boy's cap looks crisp and new, and the cuts on his knuckles and chin indicate that he is a fighter.

"Another Whiskey, please," Emily swivels on her chair to face the bar. A barmaid comes over and pours her drink. "Hey, could you point out which one is Thomas Shelby?" She asks her, dipping her head and lowering her voice.

"Mr Shelby isn't in at the moment, sir." The barmaid says hurried. Emily watches the barmaid walk out from behind the bar and to the boy in front of the door. Emily takes this opportunity to finish her drink and place a few bills on the bar, paying for her drinks.

The boy opens the door to the private room.

"This is family only, Isaiah," A moustached man states.

"Yes, I know Arthur, but I've been told by Harry and the new barmaid that some shady looking fella is asking about Thomas and you," A man dressed in a black three-piece suit stands up, fixing his cap upon his head.

"Which one is he, Isaiah?"

"That one over there," He points to the bar. "The one that just paid." Thomas begins to walk towards the man paying. "Thomas, there is one more thing," Isaiah stops him.

"What?"

"The barmaid says that she thinks it's a lady dressed as a male."

"Noted."

The man, or woman, that Thomas is following leaves the Garrison calmly, acting inconspicuous. They begin to walk down the lane towards the docks. Thomas follows close behind. The figure in front reaches into their pocket, pulling out a cigarette tin. Opening the tin and taking out a cigarette a piece of paper falls out, floating down onto the cobbled floor. The figure doesn't notice that the paper fell and puts away the tin and lights the cigarette. Thomas reaches down and picks up the paper, turning it over to reveal a family photo. He looks back up to the person in front, their cigarette smoke getting caught in the streetlamp light. He looks back down at the photograph and realises what he is looking at. He is looking at his 12-year-old self in a family photo taken in 1902. He looks at his siblings, Ada smiling, Finn looking startled, Arthur standing proudly behind him and the little face of his sister, Emily. He looks back up at the figure and continues to follow it, but this time with pace. They both enter a tunnel and Thomas takes this opportunity to get some answers. He slips the photo into his pocket and grabs the back of the figure's coat, slamming him against the side of the tunnel. The figure struggles for a couple of seconds before pushing Thomas off of him. Thomas charges at the figure again, pushing him against the wall for a second time. This time Thomas adjusts his right arm against the neck of the figure, slowly blocking his airways.

"Who are you?" Thomas' deep, angry voice asks, pushing who he thinks is a man against the side of the tunnel. "And why do you have a photo of my family?"

"Your family," A female voice scoffs. Thomas loosens his grip in surprise. "This is the last photo of my family I have. So fuck off and let me look for them." She pushes Thomas off of her, pulling her gun from under her blazer jacket and loading it,.

"You didn't answer my first question? Who the fucking hell are you?"

"My names Emily, Emily Shelby"