Chapter 4 - Family Business

Monday, 19th of March, 1921 - Birmingham

"My names Emily, Emily Shelby"

"No, Emily Shelby died 18 years ago. So tell me who the fuck you really are." He yells.

"I'm telling you, my name is Emily Shelby." Thomas loads his gun and points it at her. "How many people know about your 'dead' sister?"

"No one, we have told no one."

"Exactly, so how would I, a 19-year-old girl know about her, unless I am her?"

Thomas lowers his weapon. "So, you are telling the truth?"

"Yes, of course, I fucking am."

Thomas pauses and thinks for a moment. "Go home and meet me in the Garrison tomorrow morning at 8. Don't be late." He walks off, concealing his weapon under his jacket.

Emily watches Thomas walk off into the night and as soon as he is out of sight she leans her head back against the side of the tunnel, letting out a sigh of relief. She takes out another cigarette and lights it, walking home through the night, letting the tobacco fill her lungs.

Tuesday, 20th of March, 1921 - Birmingham

"Morning, Arthur." Thomas greets his older brother as he walks into the private room at the Garrison.

"What the fuck is it now, Tommy? It's bloody early." Arthur turns to Finn who is seated next to Thomas. "Get out Finn" Finn goes to stand up but Thomas puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Finn needs to be here for this one, Arthur. We all do." Finn smiles as he sits back down. "We just need to wait for Pol, John and Ada, she's in from London."

"What about Michael?" Finn asks.

"He is coming in late, I asked him to do something for me," Thomas says as John walks in, toothpick already in his mouth, followed by Polly and Ada.

Ada sits down in a huff. "Thomas, you know I don't like these business meetings and you know I want nothing to do with them." She states, clearly annoyed.

"This isn't about business, Ada." Thomas turns and knocks on the window of the private room. Harry, the bartender, opens the door letting a girl enter the private room of the Garrison. "This is Emily, Emily Shelby." He introduces.

There is silence in the room as the Shelby family studies the newcomer.

"It's not possible," Ada states in disbelief. "I watched her get ripped from mums arms. We went to her fucking funeral." Emily looks around the room at her so-called 'family'.

"How do we know it's actually her?" John asks, eyeing Emily. "How do we know she isn't some whore from Sabini or something?"

"That's why we have Polly." Thomas turns to his aunty. "There must be some way to tell if she is our sister. A gypsy thing or something."

Polly pauses before speaking. "There is no 'gypsy thing' but there is something." She grabs Emily's arm and turns it so her forearm is facing towards her. "Emily was born with a birthmark on her forearm." She looks at the birthmark and hugs Emily tightly. "Welcome home, Emily" Polly shows the rest of the family her arm, which contains a birthmark. Everyone in the room gets up to meet Emily.

"I'm Ada." She says going in for a hug.

"Sorry for calling you a whore" John apologises, also hugging her.

"This calls for a celebratory drink" Thomas exclaims. He pulls out an unopened bottle of Whiskey and pours everyone a glass, except for Finn. "This is to welcome Emily back into the Shelby family and to the new memories to come. To Emily"