Chapter 1: Running Into You

Joy held her breath as she tried to tiptoe her way out to the back door of her unit.

Slowly... patiently... vigilantly... clash!

Oops. Good job, you clumsy fool. Joy cursed inwardly. She had unfortunately hit the hanging pans and pots when she was trying to regain her balance after her dog Haetnim mercilessly blocked her way.

"Ya! Come out, you brat! I know you're in there!" the landlady screamed her lungs out, unashamed of the scene she was starting to make in the neighborhood.

Caught red-handed, Joy had no choice but to reveal herself to the fuming landlady. "A-annyeong, Miss Ann," she flashed her brightest smile before politely bowing.

"Psh. Nice try, Joy. Your charms will not work anymore," Miss Ann scorned. "Pay up!" she then opened her palm in front of Joy demandingly, highly expecting to receive a sum of money.

"I, um, only have this to give, Miss Ann," Joy opened her purse and handed out a couple of bills hesitantly to the anticipating landlady. "I'm still saving for grandmother's surgery. Please, please understand, Miss Ann," Joy lowered her gaze to the ground in embarrassment. Some of their nosy neighbors were already whispering nonsense about her.

Joy was not raised with a silver spoon, but she had grown up to be a cheerful woman with a remarkable fighting spirit. She was raised singlehandedly by her grandmother when her mother died while giving birth. She had no idea about her father, and her grandmother firmly refuses to disclose any information about him. Joy eventually came up to the conclusion in her older years that he probably abandoned her and her mother.

"I have a family to feed as well, Joy. I'm sorry but I have extended long enough. If you will not be able to pay by the end of the month, you and your grandmother must leave," Miss Ann looked at Joy with eyes filled with pity before heading off.

Joy could feel her stomach clenching with emotions knowing that prying eyes were still on her as she starts to make her way to her work. She could not blame them, though. The Joy that everyone was proud of years back was long gone.

She once was always the talk of the town because of her back-to-back achievements in school, aside from excelling in varying fields as well.

Now, she's basically a university drop-out and a part-time worker at a coffee shop, just trying to save enough money for her grandmother's much needed heart surgery. Her only console to herself is that they at least found out early about her grandmother's condition, allowing for earlier medical management.

She took some time entertaining her deep thoughts that time passed quickly and she has now arrived at the coffee shop where she works. She gingerly made herself to the workers' lounge and changed into her uniform. She stopped in front of the mirror to check her reflection while mentally conditioning herself that she will overcome all these challenges soon.

"How could you stare at that kind of face for that long?" a teasing laugh suddenly echoed from the other end of the room.

"Ya! This beautiful face is one and only in the whole world... and you are incredibly lucky to see it up close, Eunwoo" Joy raised her two hands to cup her face before breaking into a playful grin.

Eunwoo rolled his eyes before stepping closer to Sooyoung, Joy's real name... perhaps too close this time, as their faces where only a few inches apart. Joy was uncomfortable with the proximity and she could feel the heat rushing to her cheeks. "I think you are the one who is highly privileged to see my face, Soo" Eunwoo then flicked Joy's forehead without warning before chuckling.