Fifty Two

Kore

I didn't know what time it was or how many hours passed before a heavy knock sounded at my door. I knew it was Aides' fleet of guards. They were here to escort me to the river of the dead. It was there I would climb into Charon's boat and be taken back to earth; the realm I grew to despise.

I pulled on my black cloak, looking at myself in the mirror one last time. I pushed my long curls to the front, making sure to frame my features. Was it weird I wanted to look good? Maybe the chance would come and I would see him one last time?

before I opened the door to the room.

"Kore....we are here to—-"

"I know why you are here so get on with it!" I snapped, pushing my way through the small group of guards. They followed after me, hastily keeping pace as I strutted a healthy distance before them.

Just before I reach the end of the hallway, I stop in front of Aides room. I press a palm to his door, staring at each crevice and dip that decorated the door. I truly didn't wish to leave this realm. Aides was my first and only love. He had been my beacon of light when I was in my darkest moment.

"Come on" the guards cursed, grabbing each side of my shoulder before pushing me down the hallway. I hated how eager they were in treating me like a commoner. I suppose it was the orders of the king so I should not be surprised.

The long trek to the river lasted a couple of minutes before I started passing familiar landmarks from my time here. The forest I had first tried to run away in, the gates to the underworld and the garden where I first ate that forbidden fruit.

Finally we come to the docks and Charon greets me with an awkward smile. The news of my betrayal had most likely traveled around the depths of the realm so everyone knew of my knee status as the former queen of the underworld.

"Take her to Earth and ensure she does not try and escape" one guard spoke. Charon nodded and helped me inside the small canoe.

I felt strange as I sat across the lower seat of the boat. I had nothing left in this realm nor a reason to look behind me but for some reason, my spirit was restless I dared my eyes to look behind and search for Aides.

Maybe I would see him in the mist of the fog. Even a glimpse of his outline would calm my spirits but as I looked back, there was no one present, just the lifeless outline of the wooden beams that held the docks together.

Well, it was probably for the best I didn't see him because I knew if I did, I would never leave.

The boat jolted forward and I knew my fate had been sealed.
I was on my way to earth; to my sullen reality where my freedom would be taken away once more.

Aides

I watched Kore from my window as she cried in the boat, pulling her black hoodie over her gentle visgae. How beautiful my Kore was, but my heart was still too torn to admit my folly.

She had tried to kill me, even before the inception of our union. She begged me to believe her and insisted she was being honest but for some reason, I couldn't believe her.

I couldn't believe that she ever really loved me. Her heart said one thing but her actions said another...

A heavy knock sounded at the base of my door.

"Enter"

"My king, the former queen has been escorted off the premises and the council is ready to see you"my guard announces. I knew whatever they were here for would be for the betterment of the underworld which meant a new queen.

——

The panel of three judges,  Rhadamanthus, Aiakos, Minos, stare into my soul as I enter the dark room.
Minos cleared his throat as he signaled me to take a seat at the chair adjacent to their half crescent table.

"Aides you know why we have brought you here" Aiakos announced, rolling a king scroll across the table. "Now that it has been a couple of months, we have seen the rise and fall of the Queen Persephone."

"You need to be married to hold your title? Remember our agreement"

"How could I forget!" I snapped, making sure the tone of my voice matched my anger.

"We allowed you to obtain your own bride and you found that in Kore. She passed the Dokimi which enabled her to rule. But despite all this, she still decided to throw off the imbalance of the realm and an attempt on your life was made"

I usually had a witty reply or something other than silence to give them, but I couldn't speak, only remaining silent as they waited for any signs of opposition.

"Ah, quiet today my king?" Minos smirked, taking relish at my lack of words.

"We see you have sent Kore away before we had the chance to properly take action against her betrayal"

"You would have killed her." I finally find my voice.

"And is that such a bad thing! A threat on your life was made! It is only just she is taken out the same way she made an attempt on you!" the shortest judge yells.

"Either way, you have failed with your choice of a queen and since there is no current queen, it is the job of the panel to pick the new queen" Rhadamanthus bragged. I looked over at Zeus and Hera as they watch from the shadows near the rear of the dark room.

"And where do you judges think you will find a queen on such short notice?" I smirked, already catching onto the direction of where this meeting was heading.

"Well....we have total confidence in a queen that is just, fair, and matches your level of influence." Aiakos announced knowingly. Just before I had the chance to speak, the doors to the room slam open and she walks in.

She was a vision of turmoil.
A sight I despised.
Her aura was as dark as the lake of empty souls near the river in Tartarus.
She was a woman who taught me what true pain felt and what it meant to truly hate a soul.

"Eris" I seethed, watching her distastefully as she strutted into the room.

"So nice to see you again....husband!" she announced with an overconfident smile.

——

Author Note

I started this book August 9 2019. It's been a year and this book hasn't been completed.