An Evil Spirit

It was completely dark. Wherever he would turn his head, everything would be black. He lowered his eyes. He was standing on a surface he couldn't distinguish from his surroundings. He wasn't even sure there was anything under his bare feet. Was he floating? He couldn't determine it. There was no difference between up, down or any other side. Just this impenetrable darkness. But somehow, he could see his hands. As if... As if what? A faint glow came from them, the same way his stand would appear. Was he only a soul? Was he dead? What had happened? His last memories were in his bed, trying to sleep, and more importantly, to escape. But from what? He thought for a few seconds, when an odd chuckle behind him sent shivers down his spine. Black hands grabbed his head, long, sharp nails caressing his skin as a cold breath in his ear whispered :
"I found you, JoJo! And I will never leave you from now on! Just like Star Platinium, I will stand by your side!"

Jotaro opened his eyes abruptly, sitting straight up and gasping for air. He was in his bed, he could recognize his room with the pale moonlight from the window. He had left it open when he went to sleep, the closed room reminding him of the horrible mansion back there in Cairo. He walked toward it, staring at the sky. He vaguely remembered his nightmare even though he was still shivering from the fear he had felt. Moreover, he somehow knew that someone important was in it. Someone he knew. He sighted, exhausted. He wanted to forget about Egypt, but it seemed like he would have to cope with the pain for a while. This was his first night back home, and he had expected to finally be released of all the stress, getting some comfort in this familiar place, but... It kept haunting him, even in his dreams apparently. Was it Kakyoin? He felt so guilty about his death, and had tried to bury this feeling deep within himself for days already...
The next day, Jotaro was already up when his mother came to his room. Showered and dressed. He had been unable to fall back to sleep. Alone in the quiet night, he fought to contain his emotions, vainly. Now that he didn't have any tears left, he felt numb. It was still better then the aching guilt that had kept him awake all night long.
As he stepped out of his home, the young man stopped and looked back. Holly stood there, quietly staring at him. He could see how worried she was. Jotaro walked up to her and leaned low enough to leave a kiss on the top of her head.
"Love you, mom. Have a good day."
She looked at him, surprised and yet happy to see her son showing her some affection. But today, it felt important to tell her he cared. Since the day she started being ill, he began worrying about her. He had realised how much he cared for his mom, and missed her a lot throughout the trip. Seeing her healthy was a relief. All of what happened was to save her, and they made it. All the losses, all the sacrifices were for her. None of it had been useless. Their friends had died for her. For him to still have his mother.
The day went by, all of the girls that used to follow him were thrilled to see him back. Not much had changed in the school since he had left. He did stop for longer then normal before walking down the staircase he fell down from the day he returned from jail. That was where he encountered Kakyoin for the first time. For a split of seconds, he could remember the feeling of being observed he had at the moment. He closed his eyes, swallowing the growing knot in his throat. Holding back his tears. He didn't have the strength to face everyone's questioning if he broke down. Classes were harder then before, then again, he had missed a lot of them. He would have to catch up at home. At least, it would occupy his thoughts. He didn't notice much of the passing time.

It was pitch black, but he could see his bare skin as it glowed faintly. He looked around, and noticed a human shape. Black as his own hair, but a faint, purple glow allowed the silhouette to be distinguished. But that was not what made him shiver. A distorted smile that fed irrational fear in him stretched on the shadow's face.

Jotaro woke up brutally, his heart racing. Somehow, his dream terrified him more then his own memories. He hadn't slept much, but he knew he was too agitated to fall back to sleep. He decided to work the lessons he had missed instead, trying not to think about his trip. The sun rose, and he went to school, making sure to tell his mother that he loved her. Somehow, since he came back, it felt important to tell her that he did, that she was important. Did Avdol, Iggy and Kakyoin knew he deeply cared about them? He never told them aloud. Always keeping a neutral expression, not speaking his emotions aloud. It was too late to tell them... Too late to tell Kakyoin. Thinking about him made his breath heavier. Regret was crushing his lungs, why didn't he save him? He clenched his fists, if only there was something he could punch as hard as he could right now...