𝕆ℕ𝔼 now, where to begin?

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 is that my mother named me Elena. Nothing quite special. Only that it's a lot better than it being something like; Emily or Emma. She insisted on the name, and even though it isn't like my sister, Enola's, I still feel pretty darn special about it.

My mother was a very big fan of word games, actually. She named my sister enola, which backwards, spells: Alone. I think it's coy. I don't think my sister thinks the same though.

Despite my name not meaning anything to do with alone, she would constantly tell us that we'd be very well on our own. Nevertheless, we were always together.

Our father passed away when we were young, I don't recall any memories with him. And my brothers, left pretty soon after. I don't remember them either. Then, it was just the three of us.

And it was extraordinary.

My mother definitely put the OR in ordinary. Though, she was anything but. She didn't teach Enola and I how to string seashells or practice absurd embroidery. We did very different things. I read, we blew things up, I am the best soccer player there is, and all kinds of exercise! Both physical and mental.

Mother repeatedly said that we were free to do anything at Ferndell and be.... well, anyone.

She was everything to me. But, she didn't tell us everything. Mother believed that privacy was the highest virtue, and the one most frequently failed to be accomplished.

Which brings me to the second thing you need to know: a week ago Enola awoke on her 16th birthday. I was truly excited. I love cake! But, the only thing that was cut for me was my mother. She was missing. She'd left Ferndell Hall, our cherished home, at some point during the night. And she did not come back.

She left Enola with little, bar some gifts that she instructed that Mrs. Lane and I give to her at teatime. It was all the more saddening.

Finally, there is a third thing you all need to know: and I'm pretty sure there are a few of you that have already guessed it, is that I am not having a very good day.