Chapter 5: So, Do You Have an Answer..?

"So, have you thought about it?" Yukari asked while we were eating breakfast on New Years' Day.

"It?"

"You know... your little problem..."

"Oh. Uh... a little bit..." I said, looking away.

"Minato-kun..." Yukari began, giving me one of her looks.

"I really can't hide anything from you, can I?" I sighed. "It's been bugging me for the past five days. No matter how hard I try not to, it just keeps popping back into my head!" I groaned.

"So you're trying to avoid it?"

"No, but I-"

"Poor, foolish Minato-kun." Yukari sighed, putting down her cup of milk. "You're not going to solve your problem if you keep running away from it. Besides, what if Aigis-san already found her answer? She'll be really disappointed if she finds out she was the only one thinking about it..."

"I am thinking about it." I protested. "I... just don't know..."

"You don't know or you don't want to try?"

"I'm trying to find an answer!" I said, almost shouting. "I... I'm really freakin' confused right now... I mean, Ai-chan is cute, and caring, and sweet, and I think she's a great person, but... I don't know... I don't want to convince myself that I like her and then she figures that she doesn't like me more than just a friend... I don't want to risk ruining our friendship like that..."

"And like I said, take your time finding your answer." Yukari said, putting her hand on my shoulder as she picked up my now empty plate. "If you rush it, you're probably going to make a bad decision. When the time comes, you'll know your answer. But right now, I think Aigis-san would be happy knowing that you haven't been avoiding the question... and besides, the way you two act around each other, I'm surprised you actually think she doesn't like you."

"What are you talking about?" I said with a questioning look on my face.

"I mean come on, you two are almost always making each other blush, you joke around way too much, Aigis-san blushes when she comes into even the slightest contact with you, and you spend a heck of a lot of time together. If you seriously don't like each other, you two have some serious problems." Yukari said as she began to wash the dishes.

"I guess you're right..."

"I can't say that I'm 100% sure that she likes you, but the odds are definitely stacked in your favor..." Yukari said, flicking water at me playfully. "Just hope for the best, but be ready for the worst."

"Wow, you've really gotten into that philosophy book you're reading, huh?" I said, grinning at her.

"Quiet, you. It's a good book, you should try reading something a little more cultured some time." Yukari said, flicking some more water at me. "Anyway, it's almost 9, isn't it about time for you to go pick up Aigis-san and take her to the Shrine?"

"Oh, right." I said, getting up from my seat. "Thanks for the reminder. And for your information, I do read stuff that's not manga."

"For instance..?"

"I happen to like reading mystery and romance novels..."

"Fine... So you do read something other than manga." Yukari sighed. "Now seriously, get going. I won't tolerate you making Aigis-san wait for you."

"I'm going, I'm going!" I said, hurrying out the door as I put my jacket on. "See you later!" I hollered as I shut the door behind me.

"Ah, you're here to pick up Ai-Ai, right son?" Yamada Keisuke asked me as he opened the door after I knocked. "Right then, come in, come in. I don't want you getting frostbite or anything." He laughed, slapping me on the back.