Chapter 12: A Very Interesting Day

"Ah... today is the day that I finally spend time with Aigis..." I hummed to myself happily. I was fully enjoying my time off now that school had ended, and I was spending a good deal of my vacation time catching up with my friends since I felt that I had been neglecting them. Today, however, I had reserved specifically for Aigis. Today we were going to go out, eat together, and do romantic stuff and all sorts of other things. It would have been perfect... except that I forgot to call her and instead decided to surprise her at her house.

"I probably should call..." I sighed as the chilly March breeze blew past me. "But that would ruin the surprise, wouldn't it?"

As I walked down the empty sidewalk past the houses bustling with people on this cold spring morning, I began to reminisce about the past week, during which both of my stepparents had met Aigis. The tiring ordeal began on the first Tuesday of spring break, when Eiichiro-san arrived home from his business trips two days early, only to find me sitting with Aigis' head against my shoulder as we watched a movie on the couch. Seeing as regular friends wouldn't have such intimate contact with each other, he was able to deduce that Aigis was definitely my girlfriend. After a few hours of frantic explanations and hastened introductions, as well as a brief interrogation by Yukari's dad, he found my girlfriend to be a "polite and delightful young lady", and fully accepted her as my girlfriend.

Yukari's mom, Takeba Yuuka, was also surprisingly accepting of Aigis.

Even though Eiichiro-san fully supported my relationship with Aigis, he absolutely refused to hide anything from his wife, no matter how far away she was due to business trips. Thus, I had been forced to call Yuuka-san to inform her of my new relationship. Upon her request, I called Aigis over to my house, who then engaged in a brief conversation with my stepmother. After five minutes had passed, I was handed back the phone by my now-flustered girlfriend.

"She sounds like a nice girl." She stated plainly in an unusually monotone voice.

Monotone. No enthusiasm... that's not a good sign.

"She's really sweet." I replied nervously.

"..."

"..."

"Is she cute?"

"Very."

"I see... and will she be able to make me some healthy grandchildren?"

"W-what!" I choked, caught completely off-guard by the question.

"Just kidding, Mina-chan! You're girlfriend seems nice, but I'll withhold my approval until I meet her in person. Have fun making me grandchildren!" she had laughed, before abruptly hanging up on me.

I sighed deeply, as another frosty chill snapped me out of my memories. I never liked that name... "Mina-chan"... it makes me sound like a girl, dammit.

But it's Yuuka-san's way of showing that she completely accepts me as her son, the same way I see her as my true mother, who loved and cared for me as if she had birthed me herself.

As I finally drew nearer to the house of my girlfriend I noticed, both to my surprise and horror that Aigis was standing outside of her front door, having a pleasant conversation with someone who I couldn't recognize. After I had taken cover behind a nearby bush, I observed silently for a few minutes until some activity occurred, and Aigis began to walk away from her abode with the figure in tow, which I now recognized as... Junpei.

...

As soon as this realization worked its way into my thought process, a million questions, demands and curses rang through my head, though the most prominent one was: