- 2 -

Perci forgot how much she hated dresses. She stopped wearing them when she was 7, taking comfort in leggings and jeans for most of her youth. All of the seven had reported to the Aphrodite cabin that morning to get outfits to please the gods.

The seven overall didn't seem that excited to go. Surprising huh. They all knew too well that the gods only do anything for their own gain, so what were they playing at. After a montage of dress testing worthy of a 2000's Disney TV movie, they sluggishly waddled out of the cabin, already tired hours before the party would even begin.

When she arrived back at her cabin, eager to go to the dining hall to grab a second breakfast she was met with the sight of her father standing awkwardly next to her bed. He seemed nervous, like he was about to tell her the cat got hit by a car that morning; except she didn't have a cat. Not only her father, but Triton (in human form) appeared from around the bunk.

Perci and Triton's relationship had improved much recently. Perci had talked to Amphitrite about Triton, and come to the realisation that Triton felt unacknowledged and secondary to Perci ever since she found out she was a demigod. But Triton had also had a realisation after talking to his father, figuring out that Poseidon treated Perci so preciously because he could lose her. Unlike the rest of the family, Perci was mortal and would die with 50 years, if not sooner due to her diagnosis as a demigod. Eventually they had talked it out, and though their relationship was not the best, they had grown to be friends and confidantes in each other.

But whenever they decided to meet up and talk, their father was never there. So this must be official business rather than personal.

"Dad, hey. Hi big T." Triton hates when she call him that. "What's up? Is there a problem?"

To her surprise, Triton doesn't snap back like he normally does, in a playful or serious way. He looks forlorn, but also red-faced like he had been yelling.

"Perci, I can't tell you much. My brother has forbidden me to say anything about the situation until he tells you. I don't even think he would like me saying this but-" Poseidon is cut off by Perci's infuriation.

"What is it this time, huh? I have to travel to Mars? Find Aphrodite's hairbrush? Wait I know, I have to get amnesia for 9 months while going on a perilous journey that will result in people close to me being killed, cause gods know that wasn't fun enough the first time." Perci threw a glare at her father, rated at about a 6. She was sick of the gods bad excuses. They could say it like it is or not at all.

"My daughter, I'm afraid this may be your hardest task yet. However, once you accept it, even the Olympians will find it hard to disturb you ever again." Poseidon looked close to tears himself. A god crying? Not unheard of but certainly not common. Triton decided to cut in at this point.

"Sister, you will want to refuse this. I wish you could refuse this. But Uncle knows your weaknesses; he knows where your mother, step-father and sister are, as well as all the demigods you care about. Father can't protect them from him." Triton was struggling himself. Perci wanted to cry, to kick and scream until she withered away, unable to be locked in whatever this task was.

"So what your telling me is if I do whatever this is, the Gods won't disturb me again?" Triton and Poseidon eyed each other. Poseidon opened his mouth to respond, but a rumble of thunder overhead made their eyes widen.

"I am sorry my daughter. I cannot say much more. Please just say yes, for I fear the consequences to your lack of loyalty. I am so proud of you, and I wish we could do anything to fix this situation." Poseidon went to embrace Perci, but Perci stepped away, fearful of the situation the Gods had put her in. She turned around, laying her head against the wall of the cabin.

Triton and Poseidon glanced at her once more before poofing off to wherever sea people spend their free time. Perci let out a sob of anger and agony, the tears finally slipping down her face, pooling at her chin. Was the price really worth the Gods leaving her alone? Was it worth it when she didn't even know what the price was?

———— ("line" by Apollo, digital artwork)

Perci stayed curled up against the wall until she heard the lunch bell ring. She knew that she might not be able to see the camp for a while after she completed the task, so she knew that however she was feeling she had to see them all again at least one more time.

She walked on to the dining hall, she evaporated the tears off her face. She knew no one would probably care anyway, but she wanted to not worry the few who might care.

She slid onto the Poseidon bench after the sacrifice, eating a cheeseburger and fries with blue coke. It was her comfort food, and gods know that now was as good a time as any to feel safe and happy. She watched the other tables interact with fondness, though she still found it hard to admit she missed her friends.

The Stolls were playing pranks on the Aphrodite Cabin, launching small balls of mash potatoes at them from catapults set around the hall. The Apollo cabin were debating whether poetry or music was better, with several arguing there is little difference between the two at times. Annabeth was at the Athena table, surrounded by sheets while talking (ordering really) several of the other residents of the table to complete specific tasks or to fetch objects.

Perci smiled at the completely average day. She wished everyday could be more like this. But being the child of a god would do that to you.

After lunch, everyone disbanded. Perci thought this was the perfect time to talk to Annabeth about what Poseidon and Triton were saying, and how weird they were acting. She ran to catch up to her friend who was still talking to her siblings at a mile a minute.

"Hey Annabeth, I was wondering if you were free to hangout, maybe go swimming?" Perci saw Annabeth finally look up from the paper and process what she said.
"I'm sorry Perci, I'm just super busy right now." Perci didn't know what she expected. Annabeth spent most of her day dealing the camps problems. "If it's alright with you, I think I'm free Saturday between 1:45 and 4?"

Another one of Athenas children interrupted. "Annabeth, you are scheduled to meet with Apollo between 12:30 and 3 on Saturday about the statues he wants built, but gods know that will run overtime." Annabeth sighed at this. Perci understood her friends responsibility, but knew that after today Perci would be the one who would have no time.

"It's alright Annabeth. We can do it another time." Annabeth flashed her a grateful smile before continuing with her posse back to the big house. Perci smiled back, but she knew it looked more like a grimace. She turned to go back to her cabin.

Perci had no idea what her task would be. And for the first time she would have to face it without her friends. These days life was getting better and better.