prologue

PROLOGUE: THAT NIGHT

a/n: i have a harry potter reference in here so if you can find it...congrats

FIREWORKS BURSTED throughout the air, el's closet friends had come to save her. who knew a simple fourth of july tradition could possibly give her extra moments. props to lucas for being wise in the ways of logic.

the sound was almost ear shattering- but not as petrifying as looking up to see a thirty feet monster hovering above you.

however, el began to panic when she heard something along the lines of "that's the last one" coming from Will.

is this really the end?
what about mike?
and dad...
and max...
and god...even dustin?
what are they going to do?
what...what am i going to do?

as the thoughts whirled around in her mind, the tears began to blur her eye sight. eventually they began dripping uncontrollably- which honestly, is understandable given the circumstances.

she began to crawl away- her mind was pacing of fear. but yet- she moved so slowly. she felt cold grands grasp at her ankles, making her slightly wince in pain. (from how forceful his grip was and the fact that her scar had just been cut open only a couple hours before hand)

he dragged her back to her previous spot- where the mindflayer was waiting.

"seven feet"

"you told her the wave was seven feet...you ran to her on the beach"

his eyes glistened with the ghosts of his past.

"there were seagulls. she wore a hat...with a blue ribbon."

tears began to drip out of his eyes and onto eli's face, which was desperate for freedom.

"a long dress with a blue and red flower."

his mind flashed back to her- the only person to ever understand him.

"yell-yellow sandals covered in sand...she was pretty"

billy began to remember her face, her smile and even her laugh that had given him so much comfort growing up.

"she was really pretty. and you..."

his tears of the present couldn't possibly compare to the smile of his past.

"you were happy"

he was. he truly was.

but sadly, he stepped away from her giving full access for the mind flayer to kill her.

el turned her head slightly to see max and mike looking at her terrified and at a loss for words. she gave them a simple smile before returning her gaze towards the mind flayer- whose long tentacle has began reaching towards her.

it latched itself onto her face- sucking all the life remaining inside of her.

screams of terror filled the air, coming from different people who had considered her a friend.

just as it had taken every force of life left from her, it collapsed. joyce and hopper must have succeeded in blowing up the machine...but unfortunately they were too late.

both the mind flayer and billy collapsed simultaneously, creating a loud thud.

mike didn't hesitate to run over to el, whose life was only seconds away from ending. max had joined him along with the others who had quickly rushed over from the top floor.

"billy...el!", max stated, unsure who to comfort. believing el could survive this- she took this time to say goodbye to billy instead.

if you had been there, you would have absolutely felt the pain and grief. it was as if you could smell it.

"max...i'm sorry", billy whispered one last time, using his final breath for her. a sweet thing coming from a man with no heart- correction: a man with shattered heart*

"no, billy! please", max sobbed into his limp chest, the anger and life in his eyes was gone. it was just empty and emotionless.

his body burst into a billion pieces- disappearing from existence all together. (much like the demogorgan in season one)

meanwhile

"no no no no no- hey it's okay. your gonna be okay", mike reassured els slowly drifting soul, squeezing her hand gently. however, his eyes told a different story. tears dropped down his face and onto her plush ivory skin.

"mike...let me go", she gasped...before her breath slowly faded away and her body evaporated much like billy's and the mind flayed had.

"she's gone...she's really gone"