0.13

november 1, 1996

Recently, Hermione found herself awake much earlier than the other Gryffindors. She had been rising just after dawn recently, awakened by the sunshine that seeped across her bed from the window in her dormitory.

On this particular Tuesday, she readied herself for the day and drifted down to the common room. Wand in hand, she silently charmed the fire back to a warm glow. She was getting increasingly stronger with nonverbal magic, especially simple charms like brewing a cup of tea.

She sat in the arm chair closest to the fire, sipping on her hot chamomile. The red arm chair to the left of the stone fire place was her favorite seat; perfectly positioned for her to warm herself and watch the world outside the common room window.

It was snowing today, gentle and giant flakes danced slowly by the window. Owls, delivering mail at the end of their shift no doubt, would occasionally fly past. Hermione laid her head against the back of the soothing chair and allowed her eyes to blankly study the ceiling.

Her mind drifted back to yesterday, recalling the exact moment when she noticed Draco's protective shield drop. His eyes went softer, shinning the the afternoon sunbeam, as he asked her why she had addressed him as Malfoy.

Because he was Malfoy, at least in the moments before. He had been angry and hateful, so much so that she could see the fire behind his eyes. But, she supposed, she was in the wrong as well. She had pushed him, from the moment she noticed him pondering through the library, when he had given her no reason to. She even lied about what she was researching, all to see that annoyed expression on his face as she challenged everything he had been taught as a pureblood.

She needed to understand him. The confusion that he had made inside of her was infuriating. She no longer knew what to expect when she encountered Draco Malfoy. Typically, she would prepare herself for his insults and foul tongue. Now, she was hopeful for his soft eyes and gentle words.

It was Harry, with his tossed hair and dark circles under his eyes, to draw Hermione from her thoughts. He caught her eye as he wandered into the common room, saying something that Hermione didn't register as he dropped himself onto the sofa.

"Sorry?" She said, sitting up properly as she came back to reality. Before Harry had the chance to answer, Hermione's eyes widened, "Harry, you look awful!" Harry's hair was parted strangely, sticking up in the back. His face was pale with sleeplessness and his movement was nothing short of grumpy.

"Right. Thanks for that," He muttered back to her, but there was a playful smile against his lips. Hermione lifted herself from the comforting chair and, in two strides, sat next to the teenage boy. She held out her cup of tea for him, which he took with a smile as Hermione flicked her wand to refill it.

"I don't think I slept one bit last night," He admitted, sipping the hot tea.

"Are you having dreams again?"

"No, no, it's not like that..." Harry sighed, glancing at Hermione. She gave him her full attention, as she always did, and watched him as he stared into the fireplace. "We had the worst practice that I've ever been to last night. It was awful, really. The first match of the season is only days away and I've only just invited Dean to take Katie's place. But Dean doesn't know any of our plays and isn't half as good as Katie."

"There is something else, isn't there?" Hermione asked with wonder, though she already knew by the way Harry spoke sourly of Dean. Harry let out a shallow sigh, shaking his head at the crackling fire.

"I saw Ginny and Dean last night. After quidditch. They were kissing. And I felt this... thing... in my chest." Harry looked to Hermione for reassurance, his green eyes looking awfully sad as he said "It feels like... something I've felt for so long, suddenly come to the surface, but now it's too late."

Hermione frowned, but didn't manage to get her advice out before Neville came down the stairs, humming as he bounced. As Neville made small talk over his continuation in Magical Creatures, the other Gryffindor's began to trickle into the common room. Once Ron arrived, Harry wished Neville a short goodbye and pulled Hermione and Ron out into the corridor.

"Thank Merlin," Ron gasped, "I'm starved." Hermione elbowed Ron in his side, laughing as she did. Ron pulled her hair in return, sending her into a fit about her updo. Harry chuckled at them both, leading the way to The Great Hall.

Once they had seated before their breakfast the morning post arrived, dropping from above them. A letter felling into Hermione's hands as Ron caught one of his own. Before Hermione tore the envelope, she followed Harry's gaze. He was watching the red haired girl down the table, who had received a letter the same as Ron. Harry averted his eyes, turning back to Hermione. She offered him a soft smile, which he returned as he shoved his spoon into a bowl of porridge. In someway, Hermione understood how he was feeling.

"Ah, Harry!" Ron said, swiping a bit of porridge out of the corner of his lip as he read his letter, "Mum and Dad have asked you to come to The Burrow for the holiday, of course."

"Great, I'd love that. Hermione, what have you got?"

Hermione looked at her letter, which she had yet to open. "It's from home," She nodded to herself, but feared that it was only bad news.

"Er, 'Mione," Ron cleared his throat, then looked to Hermione with sorrowful eyes, "I heard Flitwick and McGonagall saying that the Muggle Word... Well, it isn't very safe right now. Given all that's going on with You-Know-Who."

Hermione sighed, forcing her lips to smile at Ron, silently thanking him. "I know... I've heard it too." Her heart seemed to be pumping slower than before, suddenly feeling terribly dispirited.

"Will you go home for the holiday, then?" Harry asked, scratching a spot on the back of his head.

Hermione gave him a slight shrug, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I suppose I'll find out," She told them as she lifted the envelope from her lap, giving it a slight wave. "Later. For now, I'd better get class. See you both in Potions?"