0.36

friday, december 7

"A muggle town was blown to bits last night. It's all over the papers."

The post that had arrived that morning was filled with letters from lonesome parents with Christmas itineraries, packages with sweaters and wool socks to get through the last chilled bit of lessons before holiday, and reports of bombings and death across Europe.

Hermione listened to conversations just down the table as she pretended to thumb through her mail. One letter from Mum. One that hadn't been marked with a return address, but bore handwriting that was almost unmistakable. She hid that one beneath the former.

"It wasn't your town, was it?" Ginny softly asked from beside her.

Hermione looked up, finally. Ginny had stopped eating her last bit of toast to stare at Hermione.

"No. No it wasn't. But it seems like they're growing less and less particular about what they destroy..." Hermione had the sinking feeling like she was supposed to be more upset than she was. Her heart throbbed for the unknowing muggles who had died and their surviving family members that would never know it was Him who murdered them. Him, or Death Eaters on his orders.

But she had already used all of her sadness. She'd spent it all feeling disheartened for Draco. For Harry. Dumbledore and Snape and who else was in on it?

"You must be itching to get out of here for holiday. To spend time with them." Ginny's voice was light and kind. She was fiercely considerate, even though Hermione was sure she would have rather been sitting with Harry.

"I can't." Hermione blurted out, as if it were a matter of fact. "I can't go home. I don't want to go home."

"What?"

"Hampstead... It's muggles. All muggles. It's too risky bringing magic there. They'd find a way to trace it. I think that's what's happening in these other towns."

"You think they're finding muggle-borns and destroying entire suburbs because of it?" Ginny looked absolutely enraged. Looked as if she might be sick with anger.

"I can't say that it would shock me. I think that's exactly what they'd do. Start cleansing the wizard population before they're even old enough to go to school."

"'Mione, I can't believe I didn't realize– I didn't even think. I'm–"

"You don't have to say that you're sorry, Ginny. I know. We're all... Busier than we've ever been. I know you've been so torn with Dean. Harry's incredibly busy with Dumbledore and that blasted potions book. And Ron and Lavender–" Hermione stopped herself, seeing the crinkle in Ginny's nose. "Sorry. I can imagine that's a disturbing topic for you."

Ginny smiled thinly and finally threw her toast back down onto her plate.

"And you?" She asked, carefully.

"Hmm?" Hermione focused on the eggs on her plate, buying herself some time.

"Harry was harsh the other night. Too harsh. He misses you and... Well, I just think maybe he needs to hear this from you. To know that you haven't left him, but you're busy as well. He's lonely. And whatever it is that he's studying with Dumbledore, he doesn't want to tell me about it. I've been trying to spend more time with him, but it's really you that he needs. You've always helped him sort it out."

Hermione turned her attention back to Ginny. All beautiful red hair and faded wintertime freckles.

"I'm sure he likes spending time with you more than he does with me." Hermione grinned, flashing her teeth at the gorgeous girl. "I know you see the way he looks at you."