Let's Have A Conversation

She hung up her phone immediately when she felt that she told more than necessary. She instantly called Ri to talk about it, but it was more like confront her about the night.

"Ri, I want you to be completely honest with me about that night," she said before Ri could say anything, "Please tell me what happened. How did I end up in hospital? Don't bother missing out the detail because I know you came to pick me up at Aaron's place?"

"How did you know?"

"Just tell me please." She insisted.

"I am sorry Ray. I didn't know how you would react. When I first mentioned him to you, you didn't remember him, and I don't know how much of information would be safe enough for you to handle. Doctor told us to take step by step remember. You were there when she told us that too much information might create confusion and overwhelm your mind and can have negative reaction. That's why I didn't want to say anything and let it be as it is."

"Then why didn't you tell me anything even when I mentioned his name yesterday."

"I didn't know what to do. I saw you that night. I saw you sad and at distraught. I didn't want you to go through that again. You seemed okay and happy after not having his memory in your life. I felt it is better to leave it like that."

"Ri, I understand, you wanted to protect me. But even after learning his name and hearing his voice, nothing has happened. I am fine, see?", she tried to assure her friend.

It has been a year, Ri thought, Maybe letting her know few things won't be that harmful.

"Ray, you are so stubborn. What did he tell you?"

"Nothing, I hung up when he started asking questions like why was I in hospital? He didn't know I was in hospital. What kind of person was I dating?"

"I guess, he didn't know. Your phone was smashed badly remember. We had to order a new sim for your and had to hassle a lot to get your same phone number because you were in hospital for like almost a month and by the time we got you your sim card and sync all your accounts in your phone, he might have just stopped trying."

"But he knew you. Why did he not try to call you?"

She sounded surprised at it and then realized, "oh, so he mentioned me in that little conversation, that's why you are confronting me now."

"Not exactly. I am sorry, Ri but I am tired of this lost bits and pieces of my life. I am always confused and worried no matter how much everyone around me try to prevent that."

"Ray, I understand. I cannot imagine not knowing things. I am just worried what it might do to you," Ri sighed and said "Ok, I will try to give you as much information as possible."

Lumanti gave a huge smile and crossed her feet and sat down on the floor, then asked her friend to do video call so that she can see her while talking and show her that she is fine listening about the life that she doesn't remember but before she could say anything Rianne interrupted and said, "However, I will not give any information once I see the hint of it affecting you and you backtracking from all the treatment you have been going through so far."

Impatient Lumanti said, "Ok ok. Done."

She noticed her battery was low so she put her phone down to charge and did a video call from her laptop and continued their conversation from where they stopped earlier.

"Okay, so answering to your first question, I did pick you up from his birthday party that you organized by the way. You always go extra on him."

"He must have been special for me then?", She asked with confusion in her voice.

"Yeah he was until that day. And your second question, he did try to contact me to ask about you but I was so furious at him that I shouted at him and told to leave you alone and then I blocked him."

"What did he do to make you and me so angry?"

"I don't know. I only know that you were too hurt and crying a lot. I have never seen you like that. I was so angry and worried that you were at ICU and I was waiting in lobby with all the anger fueling inside me and thinking it was all because of him. But I guess part of me was angry with myself,"

"Why would you think that?" she said with concern evident on her face.

"I don't know what he said to you. You were crying entire drive when I picked you up. You mentioned that he doesn't want to be with you at one point and I thought he cheated on you but you said no and told me you didn't want to talk about it. You have never said that to me before."

"I always tell you everything no matter how bad it is."

"I know, that's why it caught me off guard. But then you were very drunk that night so I thought you wanted some time before telling me everything about it, or needed to sober up so I dropped you at our dorm and went to get some snacks and food for you so that we can sit and talk like every other time but by the time I reached dorm, you were on the floor, bleeding from your head.

At first I thought you attempted.. I don't want to say it. But then it looked like you stumbled onto something and hit your head on to that damn coffee table," Ri said and when Lumanti looked for a table she added, "I threw it away the very next day. I should not have left you on your own that night. And part of me feels like it was my fault that if I had reach dorm a little earlier, I would not have let you drink more and stop everything from happening." Tears were starting to appear on her eyes."

"Ri, It was not your fault. Please don't say that." Lumanti felt sorry for bringing it up and she tried to lighten up the mood by saying, "You just wanted to get some food for drunk, emotionally challenged friend, remember." She tried to make her smile to which Ri gave a slight smile and said, "oh that you were."

Ray smiled at how her best friend loves her so much. "Aww Ri, I love you so much. I am so sorry to put you through so much."

"No don't say that. It was not your fault. None of it was. If anything it can be of that asshole."

"But why were you not at the party?" She questioned thinking if she was in the party then she would have known what went wrong there.

"No, I was actually on the way to party. I was running late for the party because I forgot to buy him a birthday gift but then you came rushing towards my car furiously so we left before I could join the party. You didn't even let me enter the party and I was really hungry you know." She tried to lighten the mood. 

They both laughed and Lumanti decided to let go of this issue for the night because she could see how hurt her best friend was when reminiscing that night. It must have been hard for Ri so much to see her like that. Lumanti was aware that Rianne took her to hospital but she didn't know about all the details until today. All she was told was that her blood pressure got very high due to alcohol and their best guess was that she must have stumbled into something and hit her head on the coffee table leading to concussion. After some diagnosis they came to the conclusion that she was now suffering from dissociative amnesia. It was big sturdy table with sharp corners and she remembered how once they had hard time moving it around because it was so heavy. How do I remember that table all of a sudden? She thought.

Lumanti's phone call and their short conversation kept on replaying in Aaron's head that night. He tried calling her but she didn't pick up. He sent several text messages as well.

Ti, please call me back.

Can you please at least tell me what happened?

Ti, don't do this to me. I know our last conversation hurt you but please talk to me. Let me amend this. Please.